Auto Painter Northland

gail1957, Jun 2, 4:24am
Can any one recommend a Painter for my 7m Bus/Camper!

attitudedesignz, Jun 2, 4:29am
Username grangies, he's a regular in here and he's up there.

grangies, Jun 2, 5:02am
Hi. We're a bit far from Mangaturoto.

We are by Mangonui and Whangaroa.

Rowsells in both Ruakaka and Whangarei are excellent, but come at a cost.

What needs doing to your camper!

gail1957, Jun 2, 11:08pm
It has just had rust workdone on it and I was wanting a full repaint.
I had a car re-painted and was disppointed with the job, (it wasn't a back-yard painter). I don't mind paying for a good job. Thanks.

bill-robinson, Jun 3, 12:33am
Try northwest painter services on SH10 He does boats and the like. can probably help, He is in the phone book

gunhand, Jun 3, 12:40am
Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the car you had resprayed.

gail1957, Jun 3, 1:29am
The car I had painted is a '74 Capri which was to be painted in the Ford Bronze Colour. It was nothing like it. It looked like a Guava! There were also patches on it like orange peel.

gail1957, Jun 3, 1:32am
Thanks Bill, found North West

grangies, Jun 3, 1:40am
Hi. Northwest is actually me.

If you click my name, you'll see my listing.

But we are a long way from Mangaturoto.

bill-robinson, Jun 3, 1:45am
Sorry Barry, did not reaslise you were on here.

grangies, Jun 3, 1:47am
Hi. I am Barry's son.

gunhand, Jun 3, 1:52am
Yea I know the colour you wanted. Hmmm if it was wrong they should re do it. And as for orange peel, it seems an accepted standard these days. Mind you you only need look at new cars, utes etc to see just how peely they are. The Jappanese have way better finishes than say Ford. And most often its a time thing not to cut and polish new paint. If you do it correctly its a 2 day or more job for a full respray. Most paint shops are about pushing the volume through which is fair enough as margines can be thin at time and a savings a saving. So they get a car in spray it dry it and send it on its way. Even miss matched colours and runs are let through as well.Other side of the story is if every car was done to show standard no one would want to pay for that either.

gail1957, Jun 3, 1:55am
The bus needs a good run.
Will contact, thank you.

gail1957, Jun 3, 2:07am
Thats Bullpucky gunhand. I am looking for someone who doesn't think this is acceptable. What is the point in paying for a crappy paintjob! May as well not bother! I didn't ask for a cheap job, I want to find a painter who takes pride in his work and do the job properly and will makethe time and effort to get a good result. This is why I asked for one who is recommended by others.

gunhand, Jun 3, 2:13am
Umm, not sure if your critising or agreeing!I myself dont like orange peel and properly polish most of my work. But thing is most people dont notice the rubbish there givin back or really care. Like most industry its about getting things done as fast and effective as possable for as little cost as possable. Thing is if no one complains nothing will change. But with quailty comes a price as well.

gail1957, Jun 3, 6:14am
When I took the bus to the panel-beater to take the rust out, he asked, as they all do, "are you keeping it or selling it". That is totally irrelevant. I would want to look the buyer in the eye and tell them it was well done. If I pay $2k for a paint job and its sub-standard I would have wasted $2k. What a shame there are so many people that would do a quick paint-job to make a vehicle look good to get a sale for it. The new buyer would have a 'rust bucket' in a years time. I would, of course be more P.O if I paid $6k for a substandard paint job. The distance I travel to find a trusted painter is nothing.I have another classic car here that I want stripped and repainted. I need to find one I trust to do a good job.

gail1957, Jun 3, 6:37am
gunhand.You are a little bit far for me to travel. Lots far.
Good photos, thank you. I am hoping for a contact who is willing to take my jobs on.

grangies, Jun 3, 7:40am
When you say patches on it like orange peel. Do you mean, that some parts looked nice/ok and glossy/wet. But various other bits looked dry and dull!

gail1957, Jun 3, 8:48am
No, the paint looked like the skin of an orange, in patches. How much experience have you had painting vehicles! I have just lost faith in you.
I didn't think I would have to go as far as Gore to get my vehicles painted!
Maybe not enough people watching this site.

gunhand, Jun 3, 8:56am
Grangies knows what hs on about, trust me.The reason he asks will determin if there is a reasonably simple solution to the paint on the Capri. I assume its still the same!If it has been done in A good quailty 2 pack clear it may well be able to be fine sanded and polished to a high gloss.Would take a day or so but results would surprise you. Problem is no one knows how many coats etc were put on.The peal you get is determined how wet or dry the painters applies the clear. Some can get very smooth and others pealy as. But unless only one coat has been applied it can be sanded and polished. Dry spots (dull) mean it wasnt put on wet enough.
If your looking for a good painter your way next time you see a nice hot rod or other classic if you can ask where they got it done. Most owners are willing to talk about there cars.

gail1957, Jun 3, 9:21am
Thank you, I am a member of the Capri Club and have friends in Hot -Rod. Ithought I was making a simple ask, to find a Painter for my bus. Never mind, thanks for your replies gunhand. You have been the most helpfull.

grangies, Jun 3, 9:43am
gail1957 wrote:
. How much experience have you had painting vehicles! [quote]

Well if your paint looks like the skin of an orange all over then you got a bad job.

How much experience have I had!.Over 20 years actually.

90% of that has been in high end smash repair shops, where late model vehicles arrive on a tow truck with serious damage, and are repaired and given back to the owner often to a higher standard than the factory that built the car produced.

I work for my self now, but I am glad I used to work for such excellent places that I learned to be precise, and am confident in my workmanship, and am proud to be able to produce top quality results.

The orange peel on your Capri sounds like incompetence to me. Even an off the gun finish, shouldn't look like rough orange peel, if the correct products are used.

Why did you even take it away!

grangies, Jun 3, 9:43am
Well if your paint looks like the skin of an orange all over then you got a bad job.

How much experience have I had!.Over 20 years actually.

90% of that has been in high end smash repair shops, where late model vehicles arrive on a tow truck with serious damage, and are repaired and given back to the owner often to a higher standard than the factory that built the car produced.

I work for my self now, but I am glad I used to work for such excellent places that I learned to be precise, and am confident in my workmanship, and am proud to be able to produce top quality results.

The orange peel on your Capri sounds like incompetence to me. Even an off the gun finish, shouldn't look like rough orange peel, if the correct products are used.

Why did you even take it away from the person who painted your Capri!

gail1957, Jun 3, 11:49am
Do I have to defend myself to be ableto get my vehicle painted!
I took my car back home after he had two goes at it. What was the point in having a third go!.
As I said, I was disappointed, that was being polite.
This is obviously not the right place for me to find the vehicle painter that I need. Thank you to the ones who have answered.