Listing a car on here

smellykelly, Jul 5, 10:51pm
how long GENERALLY does a car take to sell on here.no its not a $1 reserve.i dont need it sold tomorrow.maybe I should re-phrase "how long does a good car at a fair price take to sell on here".from your experience.

tazzaboy2, Jul 5, 10:54pm
watches with interest
i need to sell a car and the price $29 to list a car.is that until sold(the one price)!

phillip.weston, Jul 5, 10:56pm
it all depends on the price you set on it. It could sit for months if it's $1000 over-priced, or it could go in a few hours or a day if it's $1000 cheaper than all the others.

If priced right, and marketed well (ie good photos and a write-up), I would say it shouldn't take longer than one or two times listing it to get a sale. The longest it's taken me to get a sale was nearly 2 months, but it was a unique car and I was after top dollar for it, and I ended up getting even more than I wanted as the right buyer happened to come along after the 3rd time re-listing the car.

smellykelly, Jul 5, 10:57pm
thanks - like anything these days I know Price is king.but we are not desperate to sell.so will see how we go.ive never had a car NOT sell.its jsut finding the right person :)

phillip.weston, Jul 5, 10:59pm
I just had a look at your listings, and if you are talking about those two then I can tell you they are not going to sell FULL STOP at those prices. You are actually asking for MORE than dealer's yard retail pricing, especially the Commodore. You can get a VE Omega or Berlina 2006-2008 with those kms for the same price or LESS. The BMW is another tricky one, the ti's tend to sit for sale for a while. Given yours is the lowest spec 316 there is more of a demand for the higher spec 318. I think a realistic PRIVATE sale price for the 316ti is $8000-9000 and for the Commodore $12000-14000.

smellykelly, Jul 5, 10:59pm
you can list as a classified or as an auction.classified, you just pay to list and an auction you pay to list and when its sold you pay again.but you can start at a low reserve and get some bidding going compared to a classified is like a paper add.

smellykelly, Jul 5, 11:00pm
thanks for your advice, we priced them at what we thought was fair.as i said.we arent tryign to be the cheapest on trade me.

attitudedesignz, Jul 5, 11:00pm
Just a word of caution. Don't put "we are not desperate to sell" in the write up. Has an odd conotation to it, bit like 'Too many cars so this one has to go' or the over used 'moving overseas so must sell'.

Just my 2c, GLWS.

phillip.weston, Jul 5, 11:01pm
$39 to list either as a classified or an auction, and if an auction it's a further $15 if it sells for under $1000 or $39 if it sells for over $1000, so up to $78 total. I would recommend an auction however, definitely worth the extra $39.

phillip.weston, Jul 5, 11:02pm
Well you've listed them as the most expensive on trademe. Price is key. They aren't going to sell at those prices. Why would someone pay those prices when for the same price or less they could buy from a reputable DEALER and get a warranty or some kind of guarantee with it.

smellykelly, Jul 5, 11:07pm
They are not the most expensive, but agree they are NOT the cheapest.that was not the question of the thread, am in not going to get in an argument with someone i dont know telling me what i should sell my car for.thanks for your advice, if they dont sell, we might relook at the price. thanks again.

smellykelly, Jul 6, 12:04am
thanks alot - will add the model - great advice

ceedoubleyou, Sep 4, 6:12pm
the trick is to list your car pricewise, below all other comparable cars like the one you are trying to sell.

Seriously, take good photos, and good copy and you'll stand a good chance of selling within a month.