How often do you see a car for sale described as

modie61, Jun 15, 6:51am
this is my pride and joy !
Only to find that their car is a complete mess !
Its all about differing standards i guess.
Do you have any examples. ! LOL.

fordcrzy, Jun 15, 7:00am
i went to view a car as described.it had at least 3 accident damaged panels. was 6000K overdue for a service and had "issues". Hmmmmmm no thanks.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 15, 7:19am
Some people have so little to be proud of that the heap of junk they're trying to flick off to some unsuspecting schmuck quite possibly could actually be their "pride and joy" regardless.

aragorn2003, Jun 15, 7:25am
Strange eh. car I got inspected , Described in Auction 'Motor runs mint got a small oil leak doesnt use much oil though and a small hole in the exhaust'

What they forgot to mention is that it over heats , has extremely low compression in one cylinder. Has alot of oil coming out of head gasket.

And the one small hole in exhaust! Is holes/leaks at every join in the exhaust system.

What they also forget to mention in classified is the 2 cracks in the windscreen and the read suspension is in need of replacing

The mind boggles as to what people are thinking when they describe their vehicle

franc123, Jun 15, 7:58am
Haven't you worked it out yet, pride and joy means putting your personal stamp on it, along with a few others putting their personal stamp on it, like 3 toddlers, the dog, my herd of cows, the local bird population, ronald mcdonald and colonel sanders, the makers of V energy drink etc etc. I can't be bothered grooming it but I still want dealers retail for it.

modie61, Jun 15, 8:03am
I have worked it out franc,it means zip,or look out its a bit dodgy.

murray55, Jun 15, 8:06am
I just cant believe the stupidity of these people .my favourites are "runs mint" ," 98% complete"," listing on behalf ", "dont want to sell"etc etc. I love it when they describe their heap of junk as "mint" then take photos of the interior looking like the tip ! How lazy cant even make the effort to clean up the crap left inside. I reckon without too much of an exaggeration that some of these heaps are only worth a tenth of what they are asking.

franc123, Jun 15, 8:19am
Oh I can, again more reading between the lines is needed.

Runs mint- theres bits of oddfellows or chewing gum stuck to the seats/console/glovebox etc
98% complete- my mate needed bits for his so he flogged them off this one as I was selling it anyway
Listing on behalf- my other mate is computer illiterate and can't be bothered selling it and doesn't want to answer hard questions
Don't want to sell- I'm broke and will be even more broke if I keep it as theres big bills coming up, but you won't mind paying the price for my neglect will you!

modie61, Jun 15, 8:22am
Heres another,well if it doesnt sell this time i will keep it ! Duh.

ceebee2, Jun 16, 5:05am
I recall driving all the way to Whakatane from Auckland to check out a car for a customer which was described with an emphatic "Immaculate" even after I phoned the owner and asked if the Immaculate mean't no damage, engine bay mint, upholstery mint.hesaid yes without a doubt.
You know what's coming next, got there took 5 min to correct this description to "Below average for its year" He didn't notice the huge cracked rear bumper, over spray on another panel, dog claw scratches all over the drivers door, engine bay absolutely filthy, engine dipstick not showing oil etc, etc.It was a POS to say the least.

kcf, Jun 16, 9:19am
"mint" = bag of crap
any ad with "bro" or "sik" or "chromies" or "goes hard" in it means steaming bag of crap.

gunhand, Jun 16, 9:23am
I think anything (apart from purpose built) with 1/4 mile times is a pass as well.
Who wants a car thats been thrashed to bits. Unless they were workin on, dial ya own at 40secs.

extrayda, Jun 16, 9:12pm
I'd also avoid anything with exhaust mods and a pod filter with mags if possible.Even if it's a Toyota Wagon ;-)
I'd prefer to buy something standard if a daily driver, you can always tweak it yourself.Things that have had boy racer style mods have probably been thrashed and abused (stereotype I know, but it's there for a reason).
Cars and as I've recently discovered houses often get described as 'excellent condition' or 'as new' which in reality means 'needs work to even look respectable again' combined with 'probably no maintenance at all'.Whenever I sell anything I am very honest, probably to the point of being less positive than I could be !

extrayda, Jun 16, 9:14pm
I once flew all of the way to Napier to look at a car that I was going to buy and drive back to Auckland.Wasn't even close to what was described, apart from the fact that it was V8 and it was manual.No WOF, no Cert, dodgy panel gaps, the list goes on.Would never make that mistake again. Was really disappointed, as I had the cash and really wanted the car (well what it was supposed to be at least).

skin1235, Jun 16, 9:59pm
so how do you get around it!, do you insist on dated photos and not more than a week old, how else do you suss that the photos are actually current condition
all the photos in the world don't help if they're taken in such a way they don't show the bog in the sills, or the ripple in the roof, that shot of the front quarter that stops just short of the rust dimples that have been chipped out and had a drop or two of paint dribbled into them

modie61, Jun 16, 10:10pm
I reckon the only way is to go see it yourself,i beleive there is room for a network of good knowledgable guys on here that would be able to inspect a car for you for a reasonable price,like an inspection on your behalf if you know what i mean.