Tips for importing a car

duckey, Jun 13, 6:52am
thinking about importing a car from the states any one got some tips and what are good sites to find a good car

rod-zone, Jun 13, 9:45am
Well personally (and we import lots of everything) unless you have a spacific make and model in mind i'd be shopping around in NZ.There is so much on the market at the mo,its here and usually just a drive or even a quick flight to look at it.the whole drama of importing a vehicle really isn't that glamorous .in fact the last 3 shipments we have had in (4 months)there has been 3 major items with UN-necessary damage,
just my thoughts
Gav

franc123, Jun 13, 10:00am
The problem with that theory is that too many of the cars being sold locally are being sold by deluded morons who are still trying to get pre recession prices for them and won't budge, take some of these crappy old Mustangs for instance, they all seem to think that they are worth $30K minimum, and they are not its as simple as that, its possible to land half decent examples of the more mainstream models here for $17K, have a browse through the (many) listings on here if you don't believe me.Nothing personal but there is an element of silliness thats crept into the prices of the older American metal, most of it isn't THAT rare, and the market for them isn't THAT great either.Anyway for wannable importers the best advice I could give is to use a decent shipping agent, and of course do your homework on what can and can't be registered here, no doubt others will come up with some good suggestions.

thecudadude, Jun 13, 10:21am
I agree with the comments above . Having done it 5 times now it really can be a can of worms and a shit load of stress . Its worth it for the odd specific vehicle but to be considering buying from America you obviously have a bunch of cash at hand and cash is king when shopping for cars here in NZ at the moment . You could get a great car for a good price and be able to see it , touch it ,drive it ,etc which all adds up to more security and less risk . What car are you looking for !

neville48, Jun 13, 10:38am
Yep, 5 times buyer as well and almost totally agree. Do yur homework first and work out how much yur dream is going to cost you to import and a wild guess at Vinning and then start offering that money around Enzed and see what you can get for yur bux but do be ruthless and you may just end up with a bargain and it may be just down the road.

tigra, Jun 13, 10:42pm
No doubt about it - some people think their US import has gold plated bumpers.

tgray, Jun 14, 1:11am
It entirely depends on what you want, as to whether it's worth bringing one in.
The last car I bought cost me $2000 more in overall costs, despite being cheaper to buy than the last one 3 months ago.
Obviously the exchange rate plays a big part. (was 88c not long ago and 77c now)
Do your homework!
Many US cars do not meet the legal criteria to be registered in NZ anymore.

duckey, Jun 14, 8:10am
thanks for the tips just looking into it at the moment

tgray, Jun 14, 8:20am
What kind of car are you looking at!
Is it to keep or sell!

duckey, Jun 14, 9:14am
it will be a keeper ethier a 69 charger or 68-69 camaro

tgray, Jun 14, 7:57pm
In that case, importing one could be your best option.
All the best.

kazbanz, Jun 15, 10:17pm
I've been thinking about this a bit duckey. If this is a one off -possibly once in a lifetime deal I wouldn't be mucking around on some internet site.
I'd be booking a flight to California or somewheres like that.
Yea let your fingers do the walking to save a bit of time then go look at some cars.
You could make a road trip of it. Book a container to put the car in. Drive it to the best port for shipping it to NZ and containerise it yourself. You might even be able to get other guys with "stuff" to help pay for the container -engines etc

eagles9999, Jun 15, 10:35pm
I'm pretty vague about the details as I have only slightly dreamed about doing this but isnt there some advantage in spending 3 months in the USAowning and driving the car! Maybe touring with it!

tgray, Jun 16, 1:15am
That was the 90 day old rule. No advantage now.