Anyone ever imported themselves a car?

m0sher_chick, Jun 14, 6:52am
Just asking. how did you go about it! Was it worth it! Thanks :)

xs1100, Jun 14, 6:59am
wouldnt be worth it these days if you are talking from japan there are some very cheap cars round at the moment especially if looking at pre 04

skittles93, Jun 14, 7:11am
Yep I got my american muscle from the states a few weeks ago. Overall if you use a hassle free merchant like kiwi shipping it should be no problem. But make sure you have a good float in your bank account to pay for everything.

joe-996, Jun 14, 7:40am
yip brought a hiace van from japan was easy as cost me 4 grand all up drove it for nearly 5 years and sold it for 4 grand as that was what they where worth, this was a few years back but pretty much what you will pay in a car yard it will cost half that from japan but the laws have changed, do some research i got my van from TAU corp, look into it totally worth it i reckon, at the end of the day thats all the cars yards do and put a massive mark up on it,

m0sher_chick, Jun 14, 7:49am
Yeah exactly my thoughts! Just dont know where to start.

joe-996, Jun 14, 8:39am
find what ya want, make sure it complys LTNZ ship it over, get it put through custons, maf etc,get it throught a testing station new vin reg wof, happy days,

wimwom, Jun 14, 9:17am
You can do the customs etc yourself too.I've done a few myself and its reasonably straight forward.Like anything you need to shop around with everything , the biggest vin cost is stripping the car down for inspection, often that work is contracted out. I worked in with AA and did that myself too.
I would do it again but have lost track of the rules now, i know how to work out frontal compliance but not the new stuff. It's a long way to bring a ornament!

esprit, Jun 14, 9:48am
Brought my Lotus over in the UK as was none of them in NZ to buy locally. Took a few late nights e-mailing to set things up at the other end, but was pretty smooth sailing otherwise.

carlz05, Jun 14, 10:11am
Have bought a few from TAU, it can be really hot and cold.Some are easy to comply but if they've been in an accident they can be a nightmare.I brought one in that cost $3k just in re repairs before compliance, and then paid out a heap on mechanical as well. Others worked well, but just don't think they are automatically going to be easy.The easy part is getting them here.

wimwom, Jun 14, 10:38am
That's grim.I have dealt with them too and always the vehicles have been as described.They were always happy to answer questions.My BIL bought back a grade 2 vehicle which was a POS but even then they came to the party.I spent ages looking through many sites recommended by many people but have yet to find another who can do the deals they do.In saying that, its been 7 years since my last import. Have things changed that much!

chip8, Jun 14, 11:29am
We bought 3 off Tau for resale, not quite so good if you intend reselling straight away. Only made decent money on one of them. Would never buy sight unseen again.

kazbanz, Jun 14, 8:40pm
Um you have forgotten the other half of the story.
FOR DEFINITE I can buy a car in japan for pretty much exactly half what its selling for here in NZ.
Then I need to freight it -$2000
Then I pay 15% GST on the purchase price. so say its a 4k purchase price -$600
Then I pay compliance $400
Then theres registration first up $300
So about $3300 to get the car here and on the road
SO the car bought for half of $8000 has cost $7300 on the road.
AS the origonal car price goes up -say to $16000the fixed costs dont change but the gst does of course.
This is allowing there is not a penny to spend to get it passing compliance.

Is it worth doing -It CAN save you thousands but can also put you out of pocket thousands too.

tigra, Jun 14, 8:56pm
Plus the Yen isnt good value right now.

eagles9999, Jun 14, 8:59pm
Dont you also pay 15% GST on all of the costs eg; shipping, insurance, compliance.

kazbanz, Jun 14, 9:14pm
The figures I used were inclusive of GST . The only figure you cant do inclusive is the Yen. because that is based on the exchange rate set by customs

wimwom, Jun 14, 9:21pm
Yea, GST on thecar and the Jap FOB shipping, hard case that aye! GST on a car and shipping in another country!