Tyre recommendations for nana car

craigsmith, Jun 14, 4:47am
2002 Mazda Demio with aftermarket 15" alloys. 195/55R15.

Need good all-rounder tyres with optimum economy on $ per likely lifetime kms basis. For city and open road varied summer and winter use.

Budget up to ~$175 each but unwilling to spend more than necessary.

Hyper Drive Penrose website spits out a good list of options, "recommending"
- Achilles ATR Sport
- Hankook H437
and then a long list of cheapies through mid-range Kumhos, Firestones, Hankooks, Toyos, Goodyears, etc.

The question: is there any particular economy all-rounder, that isn't completely crap for one reason or another, that would be an obvious recommendation!

ceebee2, Jun 14, 5:03am
I have found the Firestone firehawks excellent and very quiet. You can get a quote online and simply print it off and take it to the nearest Firestone participant. Cheaper than going direct to the store I have found. Our Ambulance service used the Hankooks on all their fleet so they can't be that bad either!

stevo2, Jun 14, 6:21am
Most cheap tyres last as long (if not longer) than expensive tyres. Its the level of grip that increases with $ spent.
I wouldnt spend more than $120 per corner on a Demio.

fordcrzy, Jun 14, 6:48am
the hankooks are pretty popular. stay away from the yokohama and toyos.they just dont last even with nana driving.

trdbzr, Jun 14, 7:20am
Achilles ATR is actually a pretty decent tyre and would be pretty good for a nana car. You should be able to get them cheaper than $133, give Hyper and a couple of other tyres shops a call.

johnf_456, Jun 14, 7:27am
Go for the best tyres you can afford, tyres are cheap insurance. Its keep you on the road, you only get one chance