Questions on car audio equipment

poncharelli, Jul 13, 11:27pm
Hi, I am doing a NCEA research project on why people choose certain car audio equipment and whether price is more important than brand. Would any one out there be willing to help me with this, I just need to ask a couple of questions. Please let me know.Thanks, Logan

flybye_in_a_rx7, Jul 14, 12:27am
i choose mine from reputation. or say if i hear a mates system and like it. is that what kind of answer u wanted!

ryanm2, Jul 14, 12:42am
ask away - ive bought 10 to 12 headunits in my time. Ive learnt that price is never a guide line on quality.

poncharelli, Jul 15, 12:35am
Hi thanks for replying. I want to find out whether you would rather go to a store for its quality and brands rather then a store that sold lesser known brands or brands of lesser quality at a low price!

skyblue17, Jul 15, 1:12am
So any recommendations!

srrolla76, Jul 15, 1:19am
ive also purchased many headunits im my time, and what ive found is that usually cheaper, unknown brands have not been as good as the well known brands for a bit more money. ive stuck to sony or pioneer lately as i found they are good value for money, sound relatively good and user wise are pretty good too. im on the road to starting a audio installation company so will be seeing lots of brands. but will only offer good known brands, no cheap crap ones (unless customer wants that) as in the long run, paying a bit extra usually works in your favour

ryanm2, Jul 15, 3:35am
JVC is what I would recommend. Bang for buck they are always a tad cheaper than Alpine or Pionner etc. Ive always bought headunits in the last few years for their USB capabilities and have never had an issue with JVC. Ive bought Alpine and Pioneer (cheaper models) and found their USB support somewhat crap. (limited songs per folder, no shuffle , can't read tags etc etc).

skyblue17, Jul 15, 3:44am
Interesting.thanks

kazbanz, Jul 15, 4:57am
I buy a "few" headunits and fit them to customers cars.
Im only interested in buyingKnown name brand products such as Sony JVC or Pioneer. I do buy the most basic (cheapest) units available in the name brandssimply because the customers that are "sound" people will fit their own headeck and joe average just wants ok sound quality which you generally get from the low end name brand units.
Currently I have a JVC KDR206 and a Panosonic RX122w in stock--need to stock up a bit

supernova2, Jul 15, 6:03am
Just as a curve ball our ute has a Foryou fitted.Until we got the ute never heard of that brand.Every function works and it sounds fine even though its feeding the factory speakers which have more holes than cone left.So I agree with Kaz the average person will he happy with an average unit.After all its acar not a recording studio or concert hall.

scotthurst01, Jul 15, 6:10am
I've always stuck with Pioneer, got a Sony a few years ago for the wagon, unit was crap, wouldn't eject CDs, front panel was temperamental, replaced the pioneer in my car with a USB/radio unit (no cd) and put the old one into the wagon.

Don't have any issues with it, has a 8gb flash drive full of songs, plays then on shuffle ok, displays track info with no issues.

poncharelli, Jul 17, 6:05am
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZGHDWXC Could anyone please take 2 minutes to fill out this quick survey to help in my research!
Thanks, Logan