Cheapest most reliable new car?

Page 1 / 2
spatarn, Jul 10, 4:56am
What do you think is the cheapest most reliable new car being sold right now in NZ! Thanks

spatarn, Jul 10, 4:58am
What am getting right now is the Holden Barina Spark at 16,990 http://www.holden.co.nz/new-cars/barina-spark

db.price, Jul 10, 5:03am
Hmmm

Would not go past the Kia Picanto - the manual ISG version is about $18000, the auto LX for $18990 going up to the EX model for $22000.

The ISG model has a fuel rating of 4.6L per 100km and the LX and EX autos 5.3L and 5.6L.

For a cheaper car you could go to the Holden Barina Spark CDX model $18990 although it does not have the features of the Picanto.

If you want to go REALLY cheap then you can get the Geely Panda for around $13000 or so.However I would possibly question their reliability

db.price, Jul 10, 5:06am
Have you taken one for a drive!We took one out when we were looking and came close to going around the block and dropping it back to the dealer!We had taken the LX Picanto out just before it and the Spark was very gutless even though it was a manual, noisy and the CD model you are talking about just didn't add up feature wise.

For the few $$$ more you get a LOT more car in the Kia - and if you have an issue with the Kia being Korean - so is the Spark.Built in the old Daewoo plant.

bwg11, Jul 10, 5:54am
Don't be conned by all the bells and wistles of the Koreans, just spend 20,500 on a base model (GL) Swift.

fordcrzy, Jul 10, 5:59am
EPIC FAIL!
WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU WANT ONE OF THOSE!

CRAZY

3tomany, Jul 10, 6:06am
fiesta is the best small car you can buy at the moment full stop

fordcrzy, Jul 10, 6:06am
+1000

3tomany, Jul 10, 6:08am

db.price, Jul 10, 7:11am
I think the OP wanted a NEW car!Not a second hand one.

When we were looking Ford would not deal on Fiesta for price and even a second hand one that had done 25K was the same price as a brand new Kia.

db.price, Jul 10, 7:15am
We were looking at these as well but it was just not as nice as the Kia for the same price.Came close to getting the Swift RS but in the end the extra $3K we could not justify.

Funny enough my wife had a Swift a few weeks back (the GL) while her car was being serviced and really appreciated how well put together the Picanto was compared with it.

doctor_evil99, Jul 10, 7:44am
Holden Barina Spark is just another re-badge of Deawoo Matiz.The Kia Pincato is a much better car and it's selling well in Europe against VW Polo, etc.

fordcrzy, Jul 10, 8:43am
a car with 1000kms on it i would still consider NEW. its all about being smart about what you buy . and a fiesta is the smartest buy. it will be chepaer to run, cheaper to insure and have better resale than the wet cardboard box that holden calls a car.

tuttyclan, Jul 10, 8:43am
They seem like a good car for the money,but have a look at the used cars section on their website as you might pick up a demo cheaper than $16,990 and only have delivery kms on them and already registered too.

m16d, Jul 10, 9:51am
Yer cant go past a Mitsa.
Like. diamonds are for ever.

pollymay, Jul 10, 10:26am
You mean diamonds are expensive right!

ezekiel67, Jul 10, 10:14pm
I'll think the cheapest, most reliable BRAND NEW car is the Suzuki Alto at $17,250 because that includes all on-road costs. You still need to add ORCs to the Barina price which is likely to bump it over and above the cost of an Alto.

Alto is a cheap runner too.

http://www.suzuki.co.nz/News/Automotive/2011/05/24/Suzuki+Alto+is+Least+Expensive+Car+to+Own+and+Operate+in+Australia/

db.price, Jul 10, 10:40pm
Not sure how you figure it would be cheaper to run or cheaper to insure!

But a quick look at Fiesta's on TM shows that even those that have done a few 1000 KM are still in the $23000 bracket still considerably dearer than the Spark.

I have to say that the Spark is not the best of the small cars to buy - certainly one of the cheapest.

If you can afford the Fiesta I would say take a look at it as they are really good cars - but if your looking under the $20K mark for a new car your options are limited to the Picanto, the Spark ,the Splash, the Alto or the base model Swift.

Of those the Picanto at $18990 has all the bells and whistles you may need plus has a 5 year warranty as opposed to the 3 year that all the others offer.

db.price, Jul 10, 10:43pm
Only issue I have with that comparison is they don't sell the Picanto in Australia.:-)

fordcrzy, Jul 11, 4:45am
picanto and splash are written off for very minor accidents so the premiums would likely be higher, due to the higher likelyhood of the ins company having to fork out for a written off car.
and then of course the fiesta is FAR FAR FAR FAR better on the road at 100kmh than any of the other cars which really are just town puddle jumpers.

the fiesta wins hands down.
TWICE the car for 15% more $. its a no brainer really

bellky, Jul 11, 4:48am
I like the styling of them.

db.price, Jul 11, 5:40am
Well having driven both the Picanto and Fiesta I have to say they both handle about the same.The Fiesta has more pick up - especially on the hills due to the bigger engine but handling overall too similar to call.

In our case we were restricted to a changeover price of $20K and the Fiesta wasn't in that market.Had we had the extra it would have likely been a real toss up between the Swift Ltd or RS, the Picanto EX or the Fiesta.

And as for cars being written off - it does not take much of an accident to write off any new car especially in that price bracket.

In the end if price is key then it will always be the main consideration.

boojum, Jul 11, 5:40am
Sirion from 18,990

jenny188, Jul 11, 9:40am
What's it matter! If it's new its covered by warranty ! Just pick a color and keep returning it.

807, Jul 11, 9:44am
Where's Jazz . !