Holden Astra. Thinking of updating from a 2001 astra to a 2005 astra we have always kept our old one maintained and luckily neve

donz01, Aug 2, 8:57am
Thinking of updating from a 2001 Astra to a 2005 Astra. We have always kept our old one maintained and luckily never had any major issues except for a faulty main engine management computer which was replaced with a new one and also a 2 year warranty on it. Our 1 has done about 180,000km. The 2005 model has done 30,000km so its pretty much as new. We know the early Astraswere notorious for breaking cambelts, overheating and faulty instument panels etc can anyone tell me if the early model issues were sorted out by 2005 or what issues are common with the 2005 model being 1800cc and auto. Thanks in advance for any answers.

donz01, Aug 3, 5:40am
Any input would be appreciated.

vtecintegra, Aug 3, 5:44am
Is it the older shape (same as your old one) or the next model! They were both sold in 2005

donz01, Aug 3, 8:13am
Its the later model shape.

mugenb20b, Aug 3, 8:49am
Bit of a boring all round car, don't you reckon! Go test drive an '05 Honda Accord or '05 Mazda 6 or something.

donz01, Aug 3, 9:03am
Thats just what she wants, a plain jane nana type car that does not draw any attention as she is always running around town with her work.

mugenb20b, Aug 3, 9:09am
Fair enough. In fact, our office lady has a late model Astra. She's very happy with it, hasn't given any problems.yet.

zetec, Aug 4, 7:39am
Well my daughter has a 2001 Astra, and at 156k's having just had to replace the coil pack at considerable expense, we are none too impressed. I wouldn't say replacing the ECU (engine management computer) as you mention was a minor item. I have a 2004 Focus and it is a much better car, there have been no major repairs through 140k. So if you don't want to go Japanese, I would recommend a Focus, in 2005 the last of the Mk1 version was sold here, and the first of the Mk2 version.

donz01, Aug 4, 8:06am
In saying it was a minor issue, we had a warning light coming on sometimes and on checking the dealer said it was a computer fault. The car still drove ok and as much as the light would be on it never caused any problems. We replaced the computer because we did not want any issues with any other (false) warning lights etc.

treachug, Aug 4, 8:11am
Bought in a '06 AH Astra for mum from Japan privately. Upgraded her from a '99 Astra G model. AH's are good, ride just like earlier Astras. These have the Z18 engine, chain driven - no '60km - change it before it snaps' cambelt.
Spec'd quite good, very good sound sytem for standard (6 disc in dash CD). Easy servicing, fuel efficient etc, all round good car.

donz01, Aug 4, 8:43am
I will have to find out if it has a cam belt or chain. Never liked or trusted belts.

treachug, Aug 4, 8:47am
Last of the Astra G's went to timing chain (Z18XE engine). So if its a later AH model its gonna have chain as well.

donz01, Aug 4, 8:51am
The dealer has it listed as a CD model with 1796cc engine and tiptronic. Looking at another model there, it is the same shape and listed as an AH model. Will drop in and make some enquiries about the model and camchain.

donz01, Aug 5, 5:18am
Spoke to the dealer today and it is a AH model. I asked him if it had a cam belt or cam chain and he was unsure. He will find out and let me know later.

corsac01, Sep 13, 3:12am
They are a good car.The AH model is better put together, with less rattles from the dashboard, than the old TS model.I'd say if the price is right go for it.