Trying to find a 'coon V8 s/wagon

whqqsh, Jul 12, 5:39am
early to mid 2000s, good grief, what a mission. is there a reason for the lack of them on the market! was the 4.0 6 good enough for company rep duties! not many 8s produced (or not at all)! Plenty of sedans, a few utes & plenty of Holden options but the extra size of my AU 'coon wagon has been extremely useful

unbeatabull, Jul 12, 5:48am
TBH, the XR6 VCT Engines were just as powerful as the XR8 with the bonus of better fuel mileage, and with a set of headers etc it isn't uncommon to see one beat the 8.

Most of the 8's these days are owned by old people living their boyhood dream or filthy bogans who have matte blacked it and put a set of cragars on them.

whqqsh, Jul 12, 5:51am
put me proudly in the first category lol, nah, just havent had a V8 daily driver for ages & promised myself one for the last few cars but always compromised. I have looked at XR6s but again its another compromise of what I want.

friendly_prawn, Jul 12, 6:18am
Bet you got a silly trash can hanging off the end of your muffler and huge ugly as monsta tacho sitting on your dash.

unbeatabull, Jul 12, 6:18am
You will have more luck finding an E-Series V8 S/W. I honestly can't say I've seen many AU S/W's in V8 Trim at all.

unbeatabull, Jul 12, 6:19am
Lol. No, not at all

friendly_prawn, Jul 12, 6:20am
spoil sport!

whqqsh, Jul 12, 6:27am
Id go BA or even BF if the budget stretched abit but not much in that area either, may have to go the ute & canopy way but having a back seat makes a wagon the best of both worlds

whqqsh, Jul 12, 6:29am
I have even considered buying a cheaper 6 & going the engine swap route (yeah, I know getting desperate huh!)

zephyrheaven, Jul 12, 6:43am
Used to service a very nice AU V8 Wagon for a client, business had it since new - always said I wouldnt mind it when the company had enough of it - after the Feb quake the company pulled out of Chch & sold it in a fire sale of Mainland assets argh! Was a minter too 8(

unbeatabull, Jul 12, 6:44am
Its not that much work involved for an engine swap on one of them. Everything bolts in relatively easy.

franc123, Jul 12, 8:37am
I don't think any were sold here past AU, even then only in Fairmont trim, I don't think that you could even get Fairmont wagons at all after AU. Never seen a B series one but not to say that they don't exist, the 5.4 24 valve motor may have been an option in Australia perhaps in XT or Futura wagons. That non boss V8 was available in Fairmont/Ghia/Fairlane/LTD and XLS utes in the BA series over here.

friendly_prawn, Jul 12, 8:46am

friendly_prawn, Jul 12, 8:52am
Bit early for an AU.

whqqsh, Jul 12, 9:07am
that was luck, Ive been looking on Aussie Ebay & trading post for any in Oz & none. until that one.

whqqsh, Jul 12, 9:08am
have seen that & a few others have been on too but dont really want to go back in years

friendly_prawn, Jul 12, 9:14pm
what about buying one of the last of the falcon panelvans.
Fast becoming classics as they are getting harder and harder to find a good one. dropping an 8 in wouldnt decrease value I should imagine.
And you can still pick them up quite cheap.
I see a 1996 sold on here recently for $3500 and there was one a bit later sold for not much more as well.
Been keeping an eye on them as been thinking about buying one my self.
Just a thought.

whqqsh, Jul 13, 5:41am
has been a consideration but again no back seat & getting older, if it was a weekend car then maybe, but Ive got the jailbar delivery & goliath for that