My car apparently has aleaky pipe that goes to the

Page 1 / 2
kucoo, Jul 5, 4:00pm
water pump and continuously overheats, I dont think ive damaged the head yet but I cant afford to fix it yet. Ive put some stuff in the radiator that worked it was sort of metalic bronze looking with flakes in it lol sorry for the dumb description, anyway that seems to have worn off and when I went to buy some more from auto cheap they had none and the stuff I ended up getting with pellets in it hasnt worked at all, does anyone know of any other stuff that will work! or what the stuff that I bought and worked would be called!

v8_mopar, Jul 5, 4:54pm
You should just fix it.

Egg white works pretty good

kucoo, Jul 5, 5:45pm
really cant afford to fix it at the moment, dont think egg white would be a longish term fix would it! the other stuff I bought lasted around 3 months

NZTools, Jul 5, 6:49pm
perhaps you should look at the possibility that you cant afford not to fix it. It if dies completely, it will cost a whole lot more to fix than it will at the moment.

muzz67, Jul 5, 6:55pm
a leaky pipe shouldn't cost more than a couple of tins of 'bronze flakes'

carmedic, Jul 5, 8:00pm
Have you even got a quote to fix it or are you just assuming its going to be expensive!
Because if you leave it, it will be.

twink19, Jul 5, 8:58pm
by adding stuff you will possibly restrict the flow of the radiator, could be a problem in summer

mugenb20b, Jul 5, 9:11pm
I think you have.

kazbanz, Jul 5, 9:25pm
comeon guys stop dancing around this.
OP -If you can't \afford to fix the car you simply cannot afford to drive the car.
It really is that simple.
Sitting in your driveway it wont get worse whilst you are saving to fix it.

mugenb20b, Jul 5, 11:27pm
Off topic, but my last month's power bill was $719, although, there's 7 of us living in a 320 square metre house with 3 heat pumps, and a clothes dryer that never stops.

carclan, Jul 6, 12:33am
I don'tknow if you can still by it but Holts Chemi weld was quite a good product

furpo2, Jul 6, 12:49am
The leaky hose, if it is the hose, would be no more expensive to replace the the rubbish you are putting into the water. The damage you could do to the engine if over heated would be extremely expensive.

steve98h, Jul 6, 10:06am
if its the pipe going into the back of the water pump ither the pipe has coroded and just needs to be brazed up or the 'O' ring has dryed up and leak. a new o ring would be about $4 and bugger al time to replace

unbeatabull, Jul 6, 10:59am
Whats the car!

kucoo, Jul 6, 12:33pm
Its a diamante 97 its done 340,000ks surprisingly the rest of it seems fine, for a new water pump and cam belt its around $400 plus whatever labour would be which I dont have, I need it to get to work which is 23ks away, yes my power bill is high could be why I cant afford the car haha a couple of bottles of whatever it is that I asked if anyone knew of would fix it for now

vtecintegra, Jul 6, 12:34pm
Either pay to fix it now, or enjoy walking those 23km to work next week.

b110, Jul 6, 1:23pm
You came here ask about Flaky stuff, now I could make a rude comment here , but thatsnot what OP needs.
OP you Do need to undersatnd ,if you keep driving it ,you may not be real soon , sorry.
A diamante thats still going after 140,k bloody amazing.Gearboxs genarly give out at 140,k DEpending which one you gotRing Mitizbitshe(evening spelling police) ,they might buy it back ,lol .
Um ,it sounds like for the price of the repair you could get a cheap car ,just for work,
If your car dies its dead cause at ,340,k it doesnt matter which one .just a diamante gearbox .
Do you have kids .when cars dies they goiint to be walking a while , and you better start looking for a good pushbike ,either way causeyou are still going to have to get to work.
Another poster said you already have damaged your head ,.Hard to realy tell untill you do take the head off .Diamante , i wouldnt look forward to that job unless i had a workshop .
Head damage , Early poster may have been talking about HEAT damage.he might be right ,hard to tell til you lift the , yep, ok , now how about this .
you should only use the flake stuff once . that stuff design to fill gaps and hole where water leaks(flows) .Water flows through your head ,so you Have damaged you head (a little)by using that stuff,closing the water ways a bit. Oh ,same thing for the radiator, ,Themostst, The water cooler on the manifold (if it has 1) And other pipes and stuff where water goes ,
But you arent going to find that out til you open it
Soon you got big problems and when it happens you are still going to need other transport.
Bludge a ride to work if you can
Sounds a bit rude , But sell the car for srap and by a bike
Dont mean actually do that .Just trying to suggest you need to listen to other posters ,we trying to help
have a nice day

b110, Jul 6, 1:36pm
I do know that "flaky stuuff" ,But i not saying ,cause you should not use it again or you are likely to damage using it again ,you'd just about be signing its death warrant

kucoo, Jul 6, 1:41pm
thanks for that but if I could fix it I would! the car cost me $300 which is what I got for the last car I ran to the ground and the one before that, so really I have nothing to loose, Im surprised its lasted this long with the amount of ks on it so if I can get a few more out of it before I can fix it or it dies completely Im happy. I just wanted to know if theres something better I can put in it

kazbanz, Jul 6, 10:55pm
Op--refer back to post 10 then--don't drive it or buy another 300 car and sell it now but there isn't a magic fix in a bottle -it needs to be looked at.

cowlover, Jul 7, 9:19am
You need to find out exactly what the leak is.If its a rusted piipe or a split hose nothing, but nothing, in a bottle is going to fix it.

skin1235, Jul 7, 9:26am
isn't the dimantee the v3000!, that age they had a habit of eating the small capilliary tube on the side of the main heater tube off shoot, only about 3 inches long but like solid gold to replace, and then they ate the frostplugs
you can bet this engine has never had a topup of rust inhibitor or antidreze

tool_shop173, Jul 7, 9:30am
The bronze stuff is called "One Shot" and comes in a small tube. The pelletised stuff you were talking about is called Bars Leaks and thirdly if you want a quick fix you could try Sealwel that is the stuff that is in the same shape as an oxo cube but is black in colour.

cowlover, Jul 7, 9:50am
Sorry but the only thing that will bung up te leak once and for all is to fill the rad with cement!.Nothing will fix a split pipe apart from replacing it, likewise a rusted out frost plug.Those "fix in a bottle" products MIGHT stop a weep but they wont stop a leak.If we were talking about a cracked head or a blown gasket then you might get away with chemiweld or similar but it wont patch a split pipe or hose!

motorboy2011, Jul 7, 8:41pm
the last stuff worked for 3 months.and you still didnt get it fixed in that time!