Abandoned car

Page 1 / 2
dbab, Jul 4, 4:58am
There has been a car parked in our street for over a month now.Warrant and rego have expired. The neighbours know nothing about it.
How do I find out who owns it, as I would be interested in buying it!

bmc460, Jul 4, 5:13am
take the plate number to the post office and ask for a history check. it will cost a few dollars and they send info out in mail. thats what i do

andy61, Jul 4, 5:16am
bmc460 wrote:
take the plate number to the post office and ask for a history check. it will cost a few dollars and they send info out in mail. thats what i do[/quote
The rules have been changed and you can no longer do this.

tandj3, Jul 4, 5:27am
Phone the cops, it's properly stolen! Go from there.

twink19, Jul 4, 5:34am
phone the broken car company, could be $200 in it for you

roys351, Jul 4, 5:56am
take the wheels off it first that will make it heaps cheeper lol

trogedon, Jul 4, 6:21am
As long as "it's properly stolen!" and not "probably" stolen you should be sweet!

carclan, Jul 4, 6:39am
Ring Anne Tolley

mr_bond, Jul 5, 12:11am
Go to carjam.co.nz and you can buy a cheap report on ownership.

friendly_prawn, Jul 5, 12:21am
just go take it. Its abandoned, no one will ever know.

xpfairmont, Jul 5, 12:32am
So you want to buy a stolen car! Owners and police are probably looking for it. Have you called them!

carclan, Jul 5, 12:44am
The cops have got a website they told me, I think you enter the registration number and then they come and arrest you for receiving stolem property

bitsy_boffin, Jul 5, 1:17am
You can't easily get the details any more, it's private data and in theory only available to certain organisations in certain situations.

Given you want to buy it, I'd suggest an old fashioned leaflet drop to all the houses in the street.If it's not been dumped, then somebody in the street probably owns it.

No response, then you probably should report it to the police.They'd likely try to contact the owner anyway to see if it's stolen, so they might be able to pass your phone number to the owner, if you get a friendly officer in a good mood.

rz_zone, Jul 5, 2:14am

elect70, Jul 5, 2:22am
Take yourdrivers licence topost office & fill in formcosts a few $

tigra, Jul 5, 2:33am
You might even be thanked.

redhead96, Jul 5, 3:10am
Try the parking wardens but then all they do is ticket it. Can you and the neighbours move it so it is parked really badly and the council would have to move it!

friendly_prawn, Jul 5, 3:36am
They are free any ways. Any car thats been abandoned for more than a month belongs to the first person that tows it home.

trogedon, Jul 5, 5:44am
You try that and tell us how you get on.

pollymay, Jul 5, 6:12am
I have, got a free car bro.

friendly_prawn, Jul 5, 6:14am
hahaha, one thing I learnt a long time ago troggy.
That was to never listen to my own advice.

supernova2, Jul 5, 6:15am
Are you saying that if i park my vehicle somewhere and don't go back for a month that any joe blogs can just "steal it" and it then becomes his!Or is there some othger way of determining that a vehicle is abandonded!

woody1946, Jul 5, 6:38am
Why start a thread then not reply to what others are saying

mongolia1, Jul 5, 6:43am
Usually with unregistered abandoned vehicles the Council will take it away, try to find the owner, advertise for the owner,and if still unclaimed put it up for tender.That way you can buy it with clear title.

trogedon, Jul 5, 6:48am
But, sadly deregistered so it'd have to be worth the $$ / time / frustration to get it back on the road.
f_p - you're a wise man (in a weird sort of way).