STOLEN CERT PLATES,VIN NUMBER,etc

desmodude, Jul 1, 5:46am
Bought a classic car on the strength of the rego being live (on exemption) however upon receipt of the car found the plates, cert plate and vin number are all gone. vin number etched into back window confirms plates etc are still live and on exemption.All tags apparently missing in Transit.
Do I register it in my name, insure it then claim all these have been stolen! Car needs a shedload of work to bring back from the grave, however is not beyond the realms of possible,as long as rego on hold.(in my name of course,LOL)
Your thoughts on what to do!

bad_boy_1, Jul 1, 6:16am
if its live i wouldnt know what you could do get new vin tags and plates!

motorboy2011, Jul 1, 7:05am
I had a car stolen, on return it had no vin or chassis numbers. they had even removed another chassis number under tha back seat and etched out the number on the back window. all I needed for a new vin number was a letter from the police saying the car was what I said it was etc and that it was of no interest to them

a18a, Jul 1, 8:56am
probably not a good idea now that you've posted it on the internets for everyone to see.

lordv81, Jul 1, 9:21am
I brought a car off TM that had no vin or plates but was live in the system.The window etchings matched the rego details though so i put it in my name and got some new plates.The vin tag turned out to be a nightmare.The police signed the papers saying there was no interest in the car but VTNZ head office in Wellington would not except that and required the original police reports from when the car was stolen years ago.
The police said it would take weeks if not months to sort out,that was over two years ago now and I never heard back from the cops who said they will chase up the report for me.
Lucky I found and old vin tag that was hidden under a part of the carpet,so a couple of rivets later all good.
Apparently there is one woman in particular in Wellington VTNZ{complience}that has a dislike of older american or modified cars.

smac, Jul 1, 9:36am
Figure out, or tell us (which ever is appropriate) the real story.

I'd say the chances of reg plates AND mod plate being stolen in transit would be close to zip. Either find out from seller what the hell he's up to, or let us know what's really going on.

No offence intended, just that you did ask us what we thought.

On the slim chance the story is straight, and you are claiming plates were stolen while in transit, then your first step is talking to whoever transported the goods. There will be an agreement in place between them and whoever paid for the transport. You need to read that agreement.

kazbanz, Jul 1, 10:56pm
dd-theressomething dead set dodgy going on there. did you buy based on photographs of the car!

1hotdragon, Jul 1, 11:10pm
What sort of Classic car is it it might be stolen & if it is I'm sure the real owner would love to have it back if it is stolen.

kcf, Jul 2, 12:12am
Sounds like the car was sold with identifiers missing.

Demand a refund.Sounds like a lot of trouble.

tristanchev, Jul 2, 3:51am
I had same problem with a nissan ute. Change it into your name. Then go in and get new plates saying your ones were stolen or lost. Then go into vtnz and tell them you were planning to paint the vehicle so stripped it down but then changed your mind so re assembled it and you want to sell it but have lost the vin plate so need a new one. It cost me $50 for them to punch the number into a new alloy plate and they rivetted it to the firewall. My ute didnt even have a motor in it, I just trailered it to vtnz

trader_84, Jul 2, 6:55am
From what i've seen . there is quite a market in 'parts cars' as they are called. Especially older ones from the Ford, Holden and Valiant camps. Cars that are undamaged . sometimes stripped and sometimes not - but all missing their OEM identifyers or tags. Have a set of tags and finding a car that fits them is the easy part sometimes. Geez . this sorta sh1t gets murky aye!

sharpstuff, Jul 4, 3:09am
and men

desmodude, Jul 5, 5:57am
Update.in my name now, no dramas there. will P/Plate it in a week or two will cool heels for a month or two then have lost vin tags while being prepped for paint. i will just bluff it out and see if it works out.only way i can see it failing is if tag thief tries to wof car in the next week.

trader_84, Jul 5, 6:30am
Has your car got a body or chassis number stamping on it somewhere! Most of the older ones had them. The Chryslers had a stamping on the r/h side inner fender. I've sold cars before as 'parts cars' ie. no body tags/plates etc. But they have had this body number stamping on them. One time the buyer tried to 'make live' one of these bodies only to find out that it was already 'live' and driving around in blah blah blahville, lol! So someone obviously ended up attaching the plates belonging to the body I sold - to another vehicle. I always remembered thinking . if he (the buyer) wanted to make an issue - he'd just complain to plod or similar that he had a body with a stamping on it . that related to a set of tags attached to another vehicle. And that they had been stolen from off his, lol! Messy sh1t for sure.

mopar63, Jul 5, 6:41am
yep you're dead right there Ru /trader 846, a lot of people prob running around in old vals with the wrong tags,as for the OP if it's your car legally and in your name then you could just stamp out the vin number on a bit of alloy or whatever and attach it,if it's a valiant etc you can buy brand new blanks to stamp out, I think Horopito sell them too!,you quite often see them for sale at swap meets

smac, Jul 5, 9:10am
Personally, I think you're a fool for doing anything other than going straight to the Police to report the theft (if that is indeed what happened - either in transit or by the previous owner).

Couple of reasons I say this, but one of the main ones is that you'd be naive to think that neither the Police nor the NZTA make use of this site to track fraudulent vehicle operations.

Worse case scenario if you have indeed just taken receipt of a stolen vehicle, it's not a good look when you eventually have to admit to the nice officer that you did indeed take receipt of the vehicle with no tags, then claimed they were lost.

If you are busted trying to pass off stolen tags as 'lost', then you come across as nothing other than.well.criminal.