Holden employees in $2.5m stolen parts racket

Page 1 / 2
attitudedesignz, Jul 1, 8:07am
WHAHAHA, and they've just worked this out.

I worked at International Trucks in Dandenong in the early '90s and you would NEVER believe the stuff that used to go missing from there.

Suffice to say one of the painters had a BRAND NEW Iveco cab turned into a BBQ on his backyard deck haha.

Considering the International branded Ivecos hadn't even been launched yet. "Apparently" it wasn't that hard to get out of the plant either. Oh how i loved nightshift.

mugenb20b, Jul 1, 8:18am
So.did you end up with some perks too!

modie61, Jul 1, 8:19am
That makes Mitsi Motors Porirua look minor then,oops.

attitudedesignz, Jul 1, 8:31am
I was a spray painter there so take what you like from above post.-
. ahem, sorry just clearing my throat.i have no recollection of any such activity but that was back in my drinking days hehe.

sw20, Jul 1, 8:48am
Clearly the unions don't flog the company for enough already.

purple666, Jul 1, 9:04am
Nice to see that there are still a few jobs out there with decent "perks".

timmo1, Jul 1, 10:14am
Perks! More like stealing from your fellow employees and employers.

peacebird15, Jul 1, 11:07am
A good mate of mine drove trucks over there in the 70's.
Working for one company he was taking a load of holden engines (I think 186 or 202 from memory) from one holden plant to another. His instruction were to go so far, pull off on a certain side road, drop his trailer off and go away for a few hours then pick it up (empty now of course) then back to base.
Working for another company the queensland cops would pull him up with a load of household goods and declare his load "unsafe" and would demand he leave his trailer (which they convieniantly had a truck there to take it away). The first time it happened he got to a phone and told his boss he thought the cops were trying to steal it. His boss said they were, and just to come home as there was nothing that could be done.

Not much has really changed over there

next-to-normal, Jul 1, 12:30pm
no womder kiwis are flocking there, this place is slim on pickings

magicmat, Jul 1, 6:56pm
I shouldnt laugh, but I have no doubt this happened as far fetched as it may seem to some. I always remember the saying regarding cops in NSW when I lived in Sydney; "NSW police - best justice money can buy".

wasser61, Jul 1, 9:04pm
And Ford in Manukau. lol

kazbanz, Jul 1, 10:39pm
Heck I thought a spa pool walking out the back door of a building supply place was bad enough.

likit, Jul 1, 11:34pm
Australia was & still is a penal colony.

nightboss, Jul 2, 12:26am
Funny thing about that is - when you enter border control at the airport they ask "have you any convictions". If you say no does that allow you in or not! Used to be you needed convictions to get in, or was that only for pommies!

julian.walls, Jul 2, 1:50am
Years ago when GM had a plant in Trentham - some of the crook operators would hire a crane at night to lift spare engines from the lot!

A friend of mine who worked as a Territorial in the Scottish Regiment around 1990-1992 based in the Kings Edwards Barracks in CHCH worked as one of drivers for his regiment. At the end of a tour He had to strip his land roverof all its accessories including front spare tyre on the bonnet and lock them away in a specially built locker because they could not trust their own army recruits not to nick it!

The funniest story i heard when I was doing night classes at Wellington Polytechnic around 1996 (now known as Massey University Wellington)was that during the day - A group of guys turned up in a truck wearing offical uniform or I think white coats, went into a computer room and removed all the recently delivered brand new computers delivered that week and no one questioned them as the group of guys looked so professional!

When I taught in one of the prisions - One of inmates a well seasoned at car theft told me that during the 90s Mercedes-Benz were worried about passengers being stuck in cars, if the car went off the road into a ditch or river that the doors would automatically open on impact - What he did was smash a headlight and presto a nice Merc to drive!

elect70, Jul 2, 4:05am
Workersat Dunlopsthrewtyres over the back fench on thegraveyard shift, before they went to the trim line . 1dipstick didntcut all thetits off before putting them on his car, gotdone by cop who used to work on tireline & realised they were hot .GMs at Trentham, whole motors used to"walk " on night shift .aAlso had mate who worked forLAnd Roveragents in NZ, he had a better partsstore in his garage than they did

franc123, Jul 2, 6:10am
Surprised that nobody has mentioned the railways yet.

beblowin, Jul 2, 6:15am
you could off driven a whole car out off the trentham plant the security was so poor.

nathanmac, Jul 2, 6:27am

ryanm2, Jul 2, 6:57am
Elizabeth is in SA which was/is a free state. No convicts buddy.

mrcat1, Jul 2, 9:20am
i have a mate who is a bit of a smart arse, and he was asked that at the border, he replied " No, i didn't realise you still needed them to get in" after he said it he realised he shouldn't of said that, they gave him a real hard time after that, he was worried they wern't going to let him in.

brokebloke1, Jul 2, 10:15am
I did my trade training at railways workshops in chch , the things I saw and did there I could write for hours.
lets just say I got a very well built caravan out of the railways as a leaving present for serving my time with them LOL

fryan1962, Jul 2, 12:03pm
I know the factory well lived in frankston for 30 yrs

elect70, Jul 3, 4:15am
Those were thedays union hadiron fist control& slightestthing on an empolee resulted instrike . The old Gear meatlostaround equivelent of4 whole beasts a day,nochecks at gate ,allhad largeleatherbags .Woburn wkshops so bad they got outside contractors in to do instalation work

wasser61, Jul 3, 6:18am
When we upgraded the Ford Assembly plant in Manukau in 1987/88 as an employee we had to leave our cars outside the construction works, while the contractors could bring their cars inside the plant.
They use to come onsite with no spare and drive out with a spare. When Dad's army would check at the security gate they never noticed. Can't remember how many wheels and tires and other bits went missing but the numbers were huge.
And we had one of the Storemen found out to be selling Ford/Mazda Audio units and when the police did a search, they found nearly 400 radios in his house. And the last one was an operator working on the front suspension line and there was a call from a Power Steering shop which had gone through HR asking if the operator could get them some Falcon and laser/323 racks. He had been selling the the Power Steering shop racks for years.