Holden commodore key

temekoflower, Jan 22, 7:50am
Hi today my car wouldnt start. The engine wouldnt turn over, wasnt dead battery. So came down to thinking was ignition. I rang roadside resue, a young guy came out and ended up not being able to help apart from saying he could take car to mechanic. when he left I thought I try spare key. It started first pop.I rang the road side resue back as being a sunday no mechanic open to question about key. Anyhow my son told me he dropped my keys in a puddle and dried them for me lol. So now does this mean that key wont work again!people who drive holden commodores will know what key looks like, with the buttons that opens door etc. The guy I got when called back road side resue said I would have to take the key to a holden dealers to get fixed. Does anyone know around how much.!

whynot7, Jan 22, 7:55am
about $90 -120 depending on where you go . holden dealer or a mobile key man can get your key replaced and recoded. if its pre 96 you can open it up an have a look but there isnt much you can do with a stuffed one.

dante055, Jan 22, 7:56am
as long as the ball was making contact i thought it would have still worked.buttons might not.any hows.i was once quoted $80 for new key.

horsepower7, Jan 22, 7:58am
key will probly have a chip in it, it imobilisers itself. go to holden or ring the lock smiths, they can usually sort it for you

temekoflower, Jan 22, 7:59am
ok thankyou. The guy on phone said prob needed recoding. $80 for new key not so bad for some reason thought over $200 for a new key.

whynot7, Jan 22, 8:01am
$80 for a key is about right plus a bit to recode it so its works on your car .they have a chip inside them that works the immobilizer. chips dont like water

temekoflower, Jan 22, 8:01am
sweet thankyou. Happy it wasnt the ignition. And lucky for a spare key. Except the buttons are munted on spare key.

temekoflower, Jan 22, 8:02am
Yes I think the water has damaged it.