Trouble with Car Purchase

stelke, Jul 2, 10:40am
Agreed to buy car privately for X$ subject to satisfactory report . Car running on 5 rather than 6 cylinders. Vendor said getquote and agreed to pay cost to fix (ie subtract from balance of purchase price). Quote comes in at $1500 (6 coils, plugs,reset computer, labour.). Vender asks go halves! I said no .All this done by text .Now he won't respond or answer phone. Mechanic wants to know if to proceed or put car back together. Any advice on what I should do from here!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 2, 10:42am
Get the car put back together and return it. That is quite a lot of money you are expecting the vendor to pay so fair enough that they have not agreed.

There is a reason they asked for a quote as opposed to the bill at the end. This is the reason.

stelke, Jul 2, 10:52am
Thanks folks. It's a BMW . Sorry should have said two quotes and he would pay the lessor. In any event the car will have to be repaired before he sells it (hopefully or someone is going to come unstuck). I'll get him to come pick it up and give me my deposit back. cheers

thejazzpianoma, Jul 2, 10:59am
Sounds like a good move.
My answer was pretty black and white but I think given the expense its the wise thing to do. The owner may well decide to sell it "as is" and if they are honest will point out the fault. There is nothing to say a car has to be in perfect running order when sold (unless you are a dealer).
When I buy a car I often buy cheaper ones like this which need a little work. I can usually repair them myself much cheaper than paying someone which can work out better value or buyer and seller.

franc123, Jul 2, 11:07am
It could probably be sorted for much cheaper than that, if the plugs are due for replacement then fair enough, but all six coils! Thats where most of the expense is, replacing one could well sort it.

motorboy2011, Jul 2, 8:35pm
lol it was running on 5 not running on none, id be questioning why 6 coils were replaced as opposed to 1.

kazbanz, Jul 2, 9:39pm
Stelke-My question would be "what sort of seller sells a car not running propperly!"
But I also agree with the post above. Why did the mechanic decide the car needs 6 coils and 6 plugs etc.!
Basicly you are asking the seller to cover YOUR backside because the mechanic is saying. "If one fails the others aren't too far behind"
So in this case I'd say going halves is MORE than fair.

My reasoning being that the (private/non dealer)seller will get the faulty coil replaced -(probably the sooted up plug as well)to get the car running well (for now)and will sell it.
That wont cost him $1500 and I doubt itll be even half that. -if another coil dies later why should /would he care!
YOU on the other hand intend to keep the carso its in your best interests long termto get the plugs/coils etc done.

stelke, Jul 3, 9:09am
Yes to everyone. It comes down to me trusting my mechanic of 12 years history with my allmost classic triumph. Handles english ,european cars and daily runners. If he tells me the coils are shorting and need replacing then I believe him. Have done a deal with the seller so I hope we are both reasonably happy.

msigg, Jul 3, 9:22am
Lucky escape I say, I think thatwill be just the start of sinking money into this.

flagheaven, Jul 3, 9:31am
this is just the begining of the " open chequebook " you will need !

carclan, Jul 3, 10:42am
At the end of the day the seller should only have to put the problem right and no more. One coil if that was at fault. I would buy the spares from autohaus in Arazona and save a fortune.