Which car should I take to queenstown tomorrow?

vtecnet, Jun 24, 10:28am
I'm off to Queenstown for 2 nights, its about 487k's each way, both of my cars are old Euros and both have faults that I can't get fixed in time as I leave tomorrow before lunch time.

One car is a Merc 190e 2.3, fault, Heater Blower Motor (Not good for cold
conditions and if the window fogs up) other then that its fine.

The other car is my E30 325i, which has a good working heater and awesome sounds, however on Friday I found out that it needs a new front right wheel bearing, leaking front shock and that the wheel alignment can't be sorted properly until this is fixed also, it appears to drive ok still.

omega12, Jun 24, 10:34am
Wind-up, no one is this stupid.

vtecnet, Jun 24, 10:41am
No, I'm not stupid, I got my mechanic to check my E30 over on Friday to make sure it was safe to take on a trip, just turns out that I didn't get the good news I was expecting, the WOF on the car is only 3 months old, I thought all was ok, also the front shocks were replaced Sept last year with new ones, however the rough Earthquake damaged roads are the issue.

The 190E is my partners car, that we weren't planning on using, however its servicing is upto date and runs well, so it would seem its the only real choice I have.

edangus, Jun 24, 10:43am
Yeah, it'd be the Merc for me.

nightboss, Jun 24, 10:45am
Stay home.

granada, Jun 24, 10:46am
I'd plug my wifes hair dryer into your cigarette lighter socket on the merc and point it at the windscreen. That would work as a demister.

vtecnet, Jun 24, 10:50am
Mmm ours is mains powered, still, its not a terrible idea. annoyingly a new heater blower motor is on its way over from the states. but it'll arrive in about. 2 weeks.

omega12, Jun 24, 10:51am
Well the bad news is the weather is crap on Tuesday (snow to low levels), windy and raining tomorrow with some fine spells. I was in QT today and the roads are wet and greasy and likely to get worse with black ice in shadows when the temp drops, so my pick would be the best brakes, tyres and reliability. Guess the BMtroublU is out, go with the merc and lots of clean cloths to keep the windows clear so you can dodge the lost-in-space tourists.Good Luck.

morrisman1, Jun 24, 10:52am
bring a brazier and put it in the back. Who needs a heater then!

granada, Jun 24, 11:01am
Plug in an inverter to your lighter, that will power up a 240 volt dryer.

andrewph, Jun 24, 11:02am
Try this. Open the bonnet and remove the plastic covers and then the wiper motor. The heater fan sits below it. Remove the clips and remove the central cover and the heater fan. lube the bushes at either end attach it to an electric drill and try to free it up. the reason the fan fuse blows is down to high resistance due to the fan seizing in its bushes. (that is 9 times out of ten.) the other time its due to having worn brushes. common problem. 2 hour job.

thewomble1, Jun 24, 3:10pm
portable b-b-que in the back

sas777, Jun 25, 5:27am
>portable b-b-que in the back<

>Plug in an inverter to your lighter, that will power up a 240 volt dryer.<

These are hilarious! Best laugh in ages.

richardmayes, Jun 25, 5:33am
DEFINITELY NOT the 325i.

Rug up well in the 190e. And get a roll of kitchen paper towels for the windscreen, you'll be fine.

It can't be any worse than driving around in winter in an old English Triumph with a 3-speed (Low, Asthmatic, and Off) Lucas heater blower.

ema1, Jun 25, 7:16am
Fly it's cheaper and you don't waste time on the drive, I have and have got a few days left right now actually to enjoy a lazy old time in Christchurch before flying back south. I drive trucks for a living since leaving the motor trade about 23 years ago and I thought I do enough driving throughout the year and said" Bugger it I'll just sit back and enjoy the views while some else does the driving (piloting in my case.)!"
Good when I have a car( daughters) available at my disposal in Christchurch when I'm there.he he

hfc2, Jun 25, 7:26am
going to Queenstown you will need chains and a 4wd.

steph1211, Jun 25, 7:29am
definetly the e30 the wheel bearings are tough ino of some1 buying one in auckland drove back to christchurch with it. noisey but wont catch fire etc lol

trdbzr, Jun 25, 7:30am
grabaseat and just rent a car while your there

doctor_evil99, Jun 25, 7:32am
take the e190 - pop out the front windscreen. problem solved!

patiki1, Jun 25, 7:50am
Do you have a motorbike!

shane.64, Jun 25, 7:52am
I Think you need to catch the bus

upnorth, Jun 25, 8:10am
vtecnet wrote:

One car is a Merc 190e 2.3, fault, Heater Blower Motor (Not good for cold
conditions and if the window fogs up) other then that its fine.quote]

That is the one to take, because, if the windscreen fogs up complete the journey in reverse gear looking through the heated rear window.

vtecnet, Jun 27, 7:34am
Hey guys, we made it there and back in the Merc, window fogging wasn't even really an issue, I found that happening the heater fan set to full (despite it not working) resulted in air keeping the windows clear as long as the speed was at least 80km +
I have to admit though, I prefer the BMW, the seats in the MERC are actually pretty uncomfortable after a while, also the BMW is more of a drivers car.
Didn't need 4wd and snow chains, in fact the road conditions weren't that bad other then the patches of ice.