Unbolted head stud at auto electricians!

Page 2 / 2
bellky, Jul 15, 11:36pm
Studs don't have nuts.

sr2, Jul 15, 11:40pm
Head studs do have nuts, I think you're getting confused with head bolts.

nzoomed, Jul 15, 11:43pm
been too wet to go out and take photo, its a morris/austin 1800.

bellky, Jul 15, 11:44pm
Damnit you're right - I thought I was making a good joke there.

bellky, Jul 15, 11:44pm
Damnit you're right - I thought I was making a good joke there.

Haha, lols below. Yeah nah the fact I was wrong kinda stuffed the joke up. Sorry kazbanz.

sr2, Jul 15, 11:51pm
LOL: It was a good joke, I was just too slow to pick it up!

fiatracer, Jul 16, 12:31am
I'm laughing at the other joke.

"more important things such as an MTA membership"

bigfatmat1, Jul 16, 12:46am
pretty much dont know if you noticed but not alot of older cars on the road these days I pretty much work on 95 and newer. Cars most of my work is trucks and heavy machinery.

bwg11, Jul 16, 1:08am
May have been a good idea to use the head stud if the 1800 is like the early mini and 11/1300 with rubber inner universals. If the engine to frame earth fails, they try to earth starter current though things like the choke cable, spedo cable, and the fuel line (if metal) with amusing results. Who knows, your garage may have made a wise decision to earth to the engine rather than the frame, particularly if they saw a rather used looking strap from engine to frame. As for loosening and retghtening a head stud on one of those, it would do no harm (unless of course, in the unlikely event that a head gasket was waitng to fail at that point)

elect70, Jul 16, 1:21am
BMCBwouldnt matter a fack on those , in old daysbackyarders& racersdidnt even use a torque wrenchall done by feel. Different if it was modern engine .

supernova2, Jul 16, 1:41am
That's not really the point.IMHO it's very bad trade practice to "just shove the earth strap wherever".Even on a BMC there would have been a proper place for it and IMHO that's where they should have put it, not just on any handy bolt or stud.

johnf_456, Jul 16, 2:00am
There is a lot of older cars around, maybe its different down your way. But there is a lot up here, as phillip.westons comment its more common than you think.

nzoomed, Jul 16, 2:45am
Correct, you have to wonder how many other cars they have done this to!
Very bad practice and if was done to an alloy head, has the potential to do serious damage.
At least it seems that it will be OK, but i may re torque it to make sure.
If it was me, i would have ran a slightly longer earth strap to one of the bolts holding the starter motor to the housing.

strobo, Jul 16, 7:30am
"tinkering with electronics and cars" , would you say ! lol