Cloned car keys?

frida6, Jun 25, 1:41am
I only have 1 set of keys for my Nissan and want to get a spare cut, I have rung around and the cheapest I can get is $110 for cloned car keys (they are quite far from where I live), the next cheapest (located just around the corner) is $135 for non-cloned. (I am in Queensland by the way.) Is it worth getting the cloned keys! Or could they cause a problem! I just want the spare keys as insurance in case I lose my set.

morrisman1, Jun 25, 2:28am
what the frog is a cloned key!

If your key doesn't have a transponder in it then you can just get one cut. Over here in NZ that costs like $5-$10

Transponder keys are normally dealer supplied items but some specialty key places are now able to copy them too.

morrisman1, Jun 25, 2:29am
if you have a transponder key then just getting a simple key cut will allow you to open the door and disable the steering lock but the engine immobilizer will prevent you from starting the engine

frida6, Jun 25, 2:35am
My key does have a transponder in it, so I can't get a cheapy cut.
Every locksmith I've rung could cut keys for me, maybe in NZ it's different!
I don't know much about cloned keys, but I think they use some non-official materials so are cheaper.

morrisman1, Jun 25, 2:39am
if theres only $25 difference between a genuine one and a knockoff one then Id get the genuine.

daryl14, Jun 25, 2:57am
It IS different in new zealand. Here a cloned Nissan key is $300 OR twice that from Nissan stealerships! Stop being a cheap ass!

frida6, Jun 25, 3:24am
Wow! That's expensive! But thanks, cause you've made me feel a little better about what I have to spend :)

kazbanz, Jun 25, 5:38am
so thats about $150 in kiw dollars-hardly worth the drive is it!

scotthurst01, Jun 25, 5:51am
I was told $150 from Mr Minit for my Nissan key to be done.

ema1, Jun 25, 6:51am
I got a couple of transponder keys and they arrived for my Toyota Avalon in about a week from the USA purchasing date. They are identical to my original factory key and are branded Toyota also.
They cost me around 10% of what Toyota NZ quoted me for two spare keys and that price was including the post from the USA, go figure! I found them on eBay.com.There's heaps of them on offer on eBay go in there and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
My 2 transponder keys cost me $US15 incl the air freight. keys themselves were $US5 each.
I just "signed them on" = programmed them from the instructions in the Toyota Avalon Owners Manual plus info from a friend on here also had supplied .Simple as- now I have 3 sets.
Transponder key prices being charged in "Gods Own." NZ are an absolute RIP OFF !
Check here for your model Nissan keys.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html!_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Nissan+Transponder+Key&_sacat=0

frida6, Jun 25, 10:28am
Heaps of great advice - thanks guys!

intrade, Jun 25, 10:32am
get a cloned one as non cloned are usless and wont start the car provided the car has immobilizer usually a light in dash indicates that it has imobilizer transpoder in key.

llortmt, Jun 25, 10:36am
Non cloned is genuine in this case of course it'll work!

intrade, Jun 25, 10:38am
no non cloned is a just a cut key that will open the door and unlock the steering but wont start the car.

intrade, Jun 25, 10:40am
dealer will also clone the key = making a copy of the information in the transponder chip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=Ke12PsQzJZE

llortmt, Jun 25, 10:47am
I can??

intrade, Jun 25, 10:54am
i see what you mean , this can only be the case if the nissan dealer has the original file of the carimobilizeron there system, otherwise they need to make a clone from the engine ecu or clone the key of my posted youtube
for example fiat you can only clone from the red original key.

frida6, Jun 25, 12:11pm
Thanks heaps for this advice, I found compatible keys for my make and year, so will probably get it. A bargain!

intrade, Jun 25, 12:35pm
you need to get the transponder programmed cloned any good locksmiss should be able to do this once you got a key and empty chip.

frida6, Jun 25, 12:57pm
Yeah I'll ring some locksmiths tomorrow to find out the price, I'm hoping they can do it very cheaply.

frida6, Jun 26, 12:59am
*update*
My local locksmith said he will charge $60 to cut and program the key, so I bought the ebay key for $11 (including postage). So total cost will be $71, that's heaps better than the $185 I was quoted at the first locksmith I contacted.

ema1, Jun 26, 1:03am
can do it yourself as I did here is the proceedure it should be the same as for your car .a Nissan agent will verify or even do it for you.

Project:

Program Remote Key Fob

Models:

All Nissan Models

NOTE: The horn chirp can be disable by pressing the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously until the hazard lights flash, and no enable press the lock and unlock until the horn chirp.

To reprogram (enter new ID) key fob (keyless remote controller) follow the steps.

1. Close all doors and lock all doors

2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition key cylinder more than six times within 10 seconds. The hazard warning lamp will then flash.)

NOTE: Key should be withdrawn from ignition key cylinder completely each time.

NOTE: Do not rush the insertion/removal key cycling process. The side marker/tail/license lamps and interior illumination will flash twice when this step is accurately completed.

3. Insert key on ignition key cylinder and turn ignition key switch to "AAC" position At this time, the new ID code is entered and original (previous) ID codes are erase.

4. Press any button on the new remote controller once. (The hazard warning lamp will then flash)

NOTE: Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful. The side marker/tail/license lamps and interior illumination will flash twice when this step is accurately completed and programming is successful.

If there is only one remote controller skip step 5.

5. Additional ID code entry Release the door lock, then lock again with door lock/unlock switch (In power window main switch)

6. Remove key from ignition

7. Unlock driver side door, open driver side door and then close the door. (END)

NOTE: If you need to activate more than two additional new remote controllers, repeat the procedure on step 5 Additional ID code entry for each new remote controller.

NOTE: Entry of maximum four ID codes is allowed and any attempt to enter more will be ignore.

ema1, Jun 26, 1:26am
Opps I didn't see your post #22 but as you say that's a whole lot better as I found out. Cheers glad to be of help.

daryl14, Jun 26, 6:25am
Hey ema1, Where can you get chips here in NZ!