BMW Z8 - Alpina V8

friendly_prawn, Jun 23, 7:23am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z8_(E52)
If I am correct the same car but just a variant of the z8 is the Alpina V8 Roadster!
Does anyone know are any of these two cars in NZ as I have never seen one here before.

friendly_prawn, Jun 23, 7:28am
The overwhelming popularity of the concept spurred BMW's decision to produce a limited production model called the Z8. There were 5,703 Z8s built, approximately half of which were exported to the U.S.[1]

grangies, Jun 23, 7:30am
Were they even built in right hand drive!

If not then I doubt there's any here.

friendly_prawn, Jun 23, 7:34am
I thought I had read some where that some went to the Canadian market but am struggling to find that now. If so aren't the cars in Canada RHD!

thejazzpianoma, Jun 23, 7:48am
From memory Canada is one of those countries where they don't mind too much whether you have a LHD or RHD both are common.

usdefault, Jun 23, 2:04pm
Canadian cars are LHD.

bitsy_boffin, Jun 23, 3:15pm
Super expensive, look amazingly hawt, but you would probably regret having one.

I understand that they have some pretty nasty warping/cracking strength problems, and are not exactly what you'd call sharp handling vehicles.

Clarkson reviewed both the normal and the Alpina as I recall, his verdict was that the Alpina really wasn't any better, lots of powaaaaar, but completely devoid of any handling.A car for cruising boulevards in the USA was I think how he described it, which is probably why it was only made in LHD.

I think Vicki Butler Henderson had a similar sort of opinion.

richardmayes, Jun 23, 9:01pm
Well I think a small roadster with a BMW V8 in it would be very nice.

Whatever handling deficiencies there are you would just drive around them, and just put the boot in to get back up to speed on the straight. Not sure if I like the retro styling or not.

Z4 3.0 litre is the only modern BMW I lust after though, sounds like a much better car all round.

[It doesn't surprise me that you don't see many BMW roadsters around. The joie de vivre of a convertible is something that the majority of aggro, tailgating, non-indicating BMW drivers around here would be totally incompatible with.]

fordcrzy, Jun 23, 9:33pm
the Z8 is a total rip off of a kit car that was built in germany in the 90's. i cannot remember the name of it for the life of me. basially it was a kit car that was fitted with bmw m5 running gear etc. very expensive and looked almost the same as the z8. it could pssibly been a hamman based car but i cant remember for sure.

friendly_prawn, Jun 23, 10:01pm
Seems like there wasnt that many built anyway, with the idea being they would be collectors cars. They sure float my boat though.
would love one of the z8's.Oh well. Dreams are free eh guys.

julian.walls, Jun 24, 6:33am
The Alpine was created to help sell the Z8 - It was not a commercial success as BMW plannedI don't know of any here - Although I was told of the 6 Pre production Opel Lotus Carltons which supposed to be scrapped 1 ended up in Tasmania and 2 were in a CHCH lockup that was before the earthquake/s !. so you never know there could be one here as number of LHD Exotic have found here -there is 1 Group B Audi quattro swb ; 2-4 Ferrari F40s and 1-2 Porsche 959 s

nightboss, Jun 24, 6:44am
I saw a Z8 in Parnell on the weekend before Mothers Day (whenever that makes it). Came out of the road by the Holy Trinity Cathederal and turned down Parnell Rise about 2pm. It was definately a Left Hand Drive as are all z8's. I heard it before I saw it, very nice sound and looked great.

So yes, I am 100% certain there is at least one in NZ.