Changed my car

brapbrappy, Jun 19, 3:40am
Traded in - no hassles.I have now received the NZTA Certificate Of Registration. It doesnt give any information about the previous owners except the dates a Reg transfer was made. I was told it had 2 previous owners but there are 4 Reg Transfer dates - I presume the others are dealers. Is that all I get! I'm sure previously you got a list of the previous owners - is this not the case anymore!

bellky, Jun 19, 3:42am
Yep rules changed about (previous, current) ownership details.

brapbrappy, Jun 19, 3:43am
Hmmm just checked some papers for other cars I have had for a while andI see there are no previous owners names on them either. Privacy Act!

bellky, Jun 19, 4:05am
Not sure when the law changed sorry braphappy. The last papers I have with owners' details is from '09 I think.

Someone will tell you more on here in a while - or you could search on here or Google.

kazbanz, Jun 19, 6:16am
The law changed ages ago so no owners names displayed on rego papers.
You even find its pretty hard to request info nowadays.

mugenb20b, Jun 19, 6:17am
brapbrappy

tgray, Jun 19, 8:01am
The down side is, it is much easier for 'illegal traders' to buy cars and not change the ownership and then sell them and pretend they have owned it for however many years the last change on the papers show.
It also makes it just that little bit harder to establish who's car it actually is.

supernova2, Jun 19, 11:22am

thewomble1, Jun 19, 4:10pm
I purchased a car last December and the CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION shows my registration. It also shows VEHICLE HISTORY which shows date and odometer when first sold but no name. It then shows transfer date and odometer when transferred to me (no name shown). It also shows total number of previous registered persons as 1.
The only name shown is mine.

bellky, Jun 19, 9:59pm
bradpuppy

lucus2011, Jun 19, 10:41pm
www.carjam.co.nz Sign up here and you can request a full ownership history report. It costs $9.99 and you need a credit card but I fully confirm that this website is legit. Once you process the payment they email the details to your nominated email account. This is a 'sample report' : https://www.carjam.co.nz/sample/

EDIT: The report includes everything about ownership history apart from names and addresses. It names any associated dealerships/businesses involved.