Southward Car Museum may have to close :(

babcorp, Aug 7, 8:35am

sw20, Aug 7, 9:20am
Red herring for motorway opponents.

Southwards is a destination on its own.

wizid, Aug 7, 10:40am
yipyour right there

gooddealz2, Aug 7, 12:06pm
Last time I was in Wellington I had no car and took the train. If you want to go you'll go.

smac, Aug 7, 8:33pm
Even in the article they state most of their patrons are in self drive campers or bus tours. Lack of an exit won't stop them. It's not like you happen to be on the stretch of road and say "oohh lets stop off at Southwards, here's a handy intersection!". You're either going there, or you're not.

sifty, Aug 7, 8:39pm
yep I hired a car for the trip when at the sevens one year.

Funny as hell as they only had tiny wee cars and we had 4 biggish blokes chugging over the hills to get there.

smac, Aug 7, 8:44pm
I picked up a rental once on my own, there was a mix up with bookings (as there always is) so ended up in a Commodore. Four guys from kiwirail were in there picking up as well, and walked away with a Fiesta.I got out of there quick smart.

tigra, Aug 7, 9:33pm
Its also a very dangerous intersection. Lots of crashes over the years.Howeverits all just a bit of a red herring as #2 says. Its a destination in itself

mr-serious, Aug 7, 10:41pm
the fact is, once transmission gully opens the drive up SH1 to Southwards will be a pleasure. For someone like me who lives south of it, i would be inclined to go more knowing the roads will be clearer. Especially given Friday nights and Sunday afternoons at the moment.

elect70, Aug 8, 1:18am
There will be a turnoff atkapiti rd, but transit wont put sign upforsouthwards as its a privateenterprise . They had to remove the 1 onsh1 Taupobypass for " Taupo motorsportpark". Thats bureacracyfor you .

969pnz, Aug 8, 3:47am
It's a well recognised tourist destination, and as such should have reasonable signage and access provided. Much safer than out of towners having difficulty gaining access and in the process,getting in the way of through traffic!Transit are a bunch of myopic prats who need to learn to be pragmatic rather than dogmatic.

smac, Aug 8, 4:27am
Which part of reducing the number of intersections on SH1 is not pragmatic! Intersections are a major contributing factor to accidents, so you can solve that by reducing them. The access to Southwards and other tourist destinations can still be clear, accessible etc.

Intersections on main arterial routes are just a lose lose situation.