How can i establish if my car has a relay in the

roadkillcafe, Aug 7, 7:40am
low-beam circuit! (it's a basic 1979 xc falcon with just the standard 2 (total) sealed beam headlights and i'm almost certain that it didn't come out with a relay (they do have a name for burning out headlight switches) i can hear a relay clicking when i turn the headlights on with the dip switch on hi-beam but not when on low-beam. I can't see another relay but wouldn't necessarily-depending on where it was hidden. Is there any conclusive check i can do!there is no problem with lights, but i want to fit higher wattage bulbs without melting my switch.t.i.a!

mantagsi, Aug 7, 8:31am
Provided the lighs are working properly I would interrupt the circuit at the switch and see how much current is being drawn. If its low, it will be through a relay. If its high, it will be switching direct (roughly 6 - 15 amps depending on your lamps total current draw at a bad guess!)

mantagsi, Aug 7, 8:34am
Oh I should mention it is a very common and SUPER easy to convert your headlamps to relay operation; even with standard bulbs you will notice a difference if you are indeed converting from direct switched headlamps

bigfatmat1, Aug 7, 8:50am
just make sure you change the wiring round at the headlamp plug high beam and earth are around the other way than sealed beams.when changing to semi sealed

pup2, Aug 7, 8:55am
Headlight relay normally sits out under the bonnet, on one of the guards. Have a look round for a small tin box

bigfatmat1, Aug 7, 9:00am

kingfisher21, Aug 7, 9:02am
The relay you can hear clicking is more than likely an aftermarket one that was used for spotlights, do it still have spotlight fitted on it!

mantagsi, Aug 7, 9:05am
There is also a remote chance it is a 5 pin NC/NO relay for shifting between the two filaments, but unlikely. Worth considering, if the beam selector is on the lightstalk and not the floor etc