Newest motorcycle purchase :)

jasongroves, Aug 5, 12:15pm
1976 DT250 2-stroke:)

jasongroves, Aug 5, 12:23pm
Oh, the wee Hyabusa powered Starlet seen recently in the rally has given me some ideas.
Thinking of taking the CBR1000 donk out of the off-roader and dropping it in my wee B11 Sunny:)
Then I can either drop my spare E13 or GA16 Nissan into the off-roader.
I think its a fantastic idea, but then again, I have been drinking:)
The off-roader goes very well with a CBR1000, but the thing is quite unpredictable.I am thinking some weight might help.
Also, a 800 off Kg Sunny with a 6 speed Fireblade drive-train does sound like fun :)

sifty, Aug 5, 8:37pm
Good wee bus the old DT, should be fun.

shelleigh, Aug 5, 9:29pm
I had a DT175 way back in the mid 80's - heaps of fun :)

xs1100, Aug 6, 12:30am
put a fe carb motor in the offroader 2L of fun and no electronics to worry about

1coppertone, Aug 6, 12:49am
love the old 80'sTT500.the one with bright sliver and yellow tank and if i remember rightly i think the bikes motor oil was actual stored in part of the frame ;-)first bike that i learnt to pop the front wheel off the ground for over 40 meterslol

motorboy2011, Aug 6, 12:56am
I was going to ask it it was a DT. Dad had one when I was a kid,had a couple of extra gaskets on the bottom of the barrel and the same amount and a little extra taken off the top of the barrel. was good for almost 140kph, total pig to get started though

sifty, Aug 6, 7:11am
That looks comfy.

daryl14, Aug 6, 8:46am
Oh yeah I had an early 80's DT250. - one of the early monoshockers.

Fun because it was so torquey. Rode like a four stroke. could just about idle up a 45 degree hill.

mbikeman1, Aug 6, 8:58am
thats how i remember them also,like a four stroke with good low end grunt

trogedon, Aug 6, 9:25pm
If you want the original decals they're available.

jasongroves, Aug 7, 12:31am
Where from Troggy!

trogedon, Aug 7, 8:13am
Just have a hunt in Ebay USA. I was going to get an original style set for my SR500 but wen for 'custom' ish! There are companies that do very good repros.
I had an early 80s DT125. It was mint and I can only remember riding it offroad once (yep, I kept it mint). We had a guy from the local Yamaha shop come up and want his micrometer overhaul. It ended up I swapped him that job for him doing the big end on my DT. I had to take out/refit the engine, carry it through town to him and pay for the part but he did a good job. I think its probably why the bike might have been mint but cheap.

gedo1, Aug 8, 10:02am
Hi JasonGroves.I had a Yamaha dt250 a couple years ago that I bought (although complete and a bit better condition that yours) with the idea of having a hobby to rebuild and restore it. and enjoyed it immensely.It was the same model as the one you have got except it was the 1977 blue model. Also monoshock.I thought the silver model was 1978 but hey who knows.Had another full bike (silver model) as a spare in rough condition plus a couple of extra motors, spare wheels and so on.Haven't got any bits left now as I am working up a 1982Honda FT500.Great bike and nearly finished.I have some photos of the dt250 still but haven't a clue how to load them onto Trademe!