Motorbike gear - leathers or dragon jeans?

brownie13, Aug 5, 1:57am
My son is getting into motorbike riding and wants good protective gear and I was just wondering peoples opinions on what is the best protection.Keen to hear your views.He's a very large guy and finds clothes hard to fit him especially jeans around the thigh area.

gunhand, Aug 5, 2:08am
I have a mate like that to. trouble getting pants as well.Draggin jeans are good, and should stop grazzing etc but wont stop impact as such which is where all the damage happens. They would be good for round town commuting as somethings better than nothing but open road id go good leather or cordura with strong knee and shin protection. Again nothing short of an airbag jacket will stop blunt force truama (even then it may not) but its the risk we take. There is guy who custom makes leather gear I read about ina Bike Rider mag a while back but do not remember his name.

toppo1, Aug 5, 2:15am
Yep what he said

berg, Aug 5, 2:33am
I have a mix of everything. Draggin jeans for just ducking up to the shops or a coffee locally then leather or cordua for further away rides (leather for the dry, cordura for wet days or going away). Try 1tonne stuff (sold on here) as they supply for larger sizes if needed

kazbanz, Aug 5, 4:16am
For the lower body I recomend cudura as the first choice for a new rider.
It kinda covers all the bases whilst he gains experience and can only afford to have one option.
I agree with berg -but a newbee rider hasnt useually the budget for multi choices

geoff_m, Aug 5, 6:16am
Leather or cordura. I use cordura for daily commuting - shower/rain proof enough to get to work (usually) in the wet, and convenient with pockets, zip out thermal liners etc.
I use leathers for touring trips or going silly speeds.
Good Cordura is probably the best choice for a beginner.
I can't speak for the draggin jeans, but normal ones last a matter of inches duringa slide and rip open, leaving your leg and the road to get acquainted. It was the worst injury I have had on a bike - and I was doing ~15kph at the time. Good gear is cheap insurance.

peril787b1, Aug 5, 6:35am
If you want to know how good Draggin jeans are, search for Draggin Jeans "Drag Test" Paeroa Battle of the Streets 2011 on youtube. I wouldn't have put my arse on the line with Draggin's until I witnessed this live, now I'm more than happy to wear and recommend Draggin.

kaymay88, Aug 5, 7:56am
I wil throw my two cents in here.

A lot of bikers tend to accrue gear over time. you start by buying the BEST possible gear you can - for me, thats leathers, with good armour, which provides impact resistance and will last a fair while before wearing through if you slide for a while. then as time goes on you buy some draggin jeans cos theyll be usefull if youre just whipping down to the shops. Then you buy a cordura jacket cos its easier to wear if you are doing a 10 minute commute each day . . .

For me, leathers or cordura gear is what you should use if going for a ride.
cordura is great for commuting and short trips

draggin jeans are good for nipping down to the shops, or a short ride to grab a drink with your mates.

either way, whatever type of gear he goes for, get the BEST he can afford, it might make the difference to his life one day

bitsy_boffin, Aug 5, 9:44am
Cordura with a removable thermal liner and (not hard) armour in the hips and knees.

Nothing more unpleasant than wet jeans in winter, or leather in the summer.

brownie13, Aug 5, 11:10pm
He has lightweight cordura jacket and pants for quick trips but he's wanting something with more armour protection for longer trips.Just wasn't sure if leather was the way to go or if he should be getting better quality cordura gear with more armour padding.