Car jam reports? How reliable are they?

firecentaurr, Aug 3, 12:18am
There's one vehicle I'm very keen on, having been watching it over the past week (must be a 2 week auction) and while browsing for other identical vehicles, I often check things out at this website called carjam, crossreferencing information between auctions and website.

In one case, regarding a vehicle I looked at, was selling as a silver/green car but is stated as being white on carjam website (not that it matters to me about colours lol) and also the same vehicle (previously listed with no wof and rego) "apparently had a new wof and rego' slapped on when relisted.But several days later, the status at carjam wasn't updated.
Now I've got hubby telling me that sometimes carjam get their information wrong and they're offering reports for $14.99!

I'm contemplating on getting a report to see if there's any money owing on a vehicle I'm serious in.Is it worth what they're asking for!

Another thing, and its really thoughts for the day.whats your views on some auctions who are "selling on behalf of a mate who left the country!"
Lets just say this statement may be true for some sellers but what have a buyer got as a backup for having purchased a second hand car (wof and registered) from a 'private seller' and something went wrong!
Lets just say for an example. there was an accident driving the car home and it turned out to be a mechanical fault that should've come up as a failure when in for a WOF.Who's accountable!
The seller, "the mate who left the country," or the WOF person!'

thunderbolt, Aug 3, 12:28am
Carjam report is only updated when someone logs in and uses one of their free "looks".
If you dont log in, the report you see is from the last time the report updated as above.

saxman99, Aug 3, 12:28am
If you are not logged in and you therefore don't use one of your 3 free lookups per month to get the latest info then you only get the last report that someone else requested.This could well be out of date.You can get most of what you need from a new free lookup, you can pay for the full report to find out things like whether money is owed on it.

smac, Aug 3, 12:41am
As for their info being wrong, if it's up to date (see above) then the info is correct. It's sourced from the NZTA register.

firecentaurr, Aug 3, 12:48am
x1
I thought so.otherwise the site would've closed down for providing a service unrendered.

So who's the best out of motorweb and carjam!

jason18, Aug 3, 12:52am
My xa is listed as blue yet its red and black. Obviously nobody has written if its changed colours

3wheelnut, Aug 3, 1:48am
As I have posted on other questions, we were burned on 3 occasions, cars Carjam said had live reg, and when we put them through WOF they had their reg cancelled up to 3 months prior. Checked with VTNZ locally, they had correct info which CJ did not. I have no idea why but 3 times!
A car of my own showed that it had a very substantial amount of money owing. Given that it was mid 90s I wondered how, so I got them to do a check, it showed that they had the VIN number of a B train loaded against my car!

firecentaurr, Aug 3, 1:54am
x1
A B train!!Wow!How's crazy is that!

smac, Aug 3, 1:58am
So carjam/motorweb ARE displaying you correct information. The issue is that whoever lodged the security provided incorrect details.

The others you describe simply sound like the situation detailed above - you haven't looked at the most recent information available.

3wheelnut, Aug 3, 2:07am
Sorry Smac these were paid for reports as a trader paying the highest fees they offer. If that's not accessing the most recent info!

3wheelnut, Aug 3, 2:09am
In regard my own vehicle, when they did the track, as I had lost a sale and "required them to do so" they discovered the error was their own and eventually apologised.

smac, Aug 3, 2:20am
Ahh well, sue 'em. Nothing but leeches anyway. I don't see what they offer that you can't get direct from the source anyway.

firecentaurr, Aug 4, 11:32pm
Well I've got two reports, nothing there gives off any warning bells but I guess that if any discrepancies come about, I will have to deal it as they come.will raise questions while scrambling to safeguard myself and interests as much as reasonably possible :/

cheapy11, Aug 5, 1:15am
Well that is totally b.s for a start. Carjam (or similar sites) will tell you if there is a security interest registered. I will definately not tell you how much of even if it is a big or small amount.

shark574, Aug 5, 4:30am
How did you know it was a B train. They are vindas 2 separatesemi trailers. No way you could tell.
Same with the substantial amount owing on your car.

Your full of it.

3wheelnut, Aug 5, 5:27am
Shark,and Cheapy if you pursue a problem CJ is legally obliged to give a full disclosure of all information, thats how you get as much info as you want.
If you want to call it BS or being full of it, sorry you have never had to go down the line, and for your sake I hope you don't have to.

supernova2, Aug 5, 6:20am
If 3 wheel is to be believed and for what its worth we havent seen anything to say he is wrong i can only concluded that when "carjam' disclosed the information they still got it wrong.i do agree that a security check only tells you that its a security but certainly not how much.that requires enquiry to the secured party.I see "carjam' have just updated the look of their site to make it IMHO much more confusing and even less informative.To quote an old TV programme"they have all done incredibly well"