Poor guy needing car repairs

_roxxra_, Aug 2, 7:57pm
Hi there, am wanting to buy a car that has afew braking issues, but I donthave enough money to get it all one professionally. I was wondering if there was anyone in palmy who knew how to do them for me! The things I need done are rear brake pads, brake fluid bled, brake balancing, parking brake balance, cam belt replacement if possible, I can do the coolant and oil myself, just dont have the right tools to do brakepads, and idunno the rest. is there any one in palmy who can fix these things cheap! I know its a long shot but thought id try

thunderbolt, Aug 2, 8:26pm
If you cant afford to maintain the car, you cant afford to own the car.

Simple really.

nellbee, Aug 2, 8:43pm
Self-righteousness won't help this person - anything useful to add!

thunderbolt, Aug 2, 8:47pm
Do you have anything useful to add do gooder!

The equation is simple, dont buy what you cant afford.

Actually, the advice might help him avoid investing in a vehicle that he cant afford and ending up with a lawn ornament as a reminder.

splinter67, Aug 2, 8:51pm
What sort of car is it and wouldnt you be better to buy a car that hasnt got problems

kwkbrk, Aug 2, 9:21pm
Nice to see you guys sit there and make judgement not knowing anything of the circumstances of the poster.
You know as well as I do that for any number of reasons people are victims of their circumstances and sometimes simply just need help.

kazbanz, Aug 2, 9:38pm
OP first off=If you don't ask you dont get
Second-it would be usefull to help you if we knew the year /make/model of your car.
Third-have you concidered simply making it a condition of sale that the wof work be carried out by the seller! -assuming that it is wof work.
Otherwise MMM as badly delivered as thunnderbolts message is there might be some truth in it.-Right now you can't afford to pay for repairs so why not concider a car not needing immediate repair work.!

mrfxit, Aug 2, 9:39pm
For some ppl, yep agree, but without knowing what model vehicle it is, your comment is a bit presumptuous

He has stated that he's got some cash , just not enough to get the whole job done in a garage at full retail rates.

mrfxit, Aug 2, 9:41pm
Agreed but theres a sticky proviso . better examples that don't need work, tend to cost far more then a vehicle that needs a bit of relatively simple TLC

thunderbolt, Aug 2, 9:58pm
Ok, the delivery was blunt, but the message remains.
Is it just rear pads and a small adjustment!
Or could it need caliper overhauls, and new balance valve, rotors and pads!
Does OP have enough $$$ for this!

Cambelt, is it a 2E Toyota or a EJ20 Quad cam Turbo!
Everyone here is making guesses because we dont have enough information.
OP, safest bet is find a simple vehicle within your budget that has WOF & REGO and does not need more than a simple service right now.

mrfxit, Aug 2, 10:09pm
LOL . good on ya .
Well said

scuba, Aug 2, 10:11pm
best advice on here- If op can't afford to fix it in the first place how will they cover running costs!
Kiwis regard car ownership as a rightbut it comes at a cost that many can't really afford.not if the car is to be maintained properly and kept to wofstandards-i bitch about my costs and I'm in the trade.

kazbanz, Aug 2, 11:06pm
Indeed but without the info from the OP its pretty hard to offer advice

mrfxit, Aug 3, 12:23am
Agree totally.
Can only work on a percentage basis & even thats crystal ball stuff

trader_84, Aug 3, 12:47am
I'm in Palmy and might be able to help if - its a Lux. If not . not able.