How much to re-register an old car?

gemini_gurl, Jul 28, 10:49pm
I guess quite a bit! Is a 1973 mini

a18a, Jul 28, 10:51pm
apparently if it first was registered in NZ before 1991 it would be cheaper than if it was after.

daryl14, Jul 28, 10:54pm
And after first of Jan it will qualify for classic vehicle licencing - around a hundy for 12 months, and won't need continuous licencing - What you refer to as rego.

phalanax, Jul 28, 11:17pm
Vehicle has to be of a very good standard.

splinter67, Jul 28, 11:24pm
Has it been vined and is it still in the system

chebry, Jul 28, 11:30pm
Just did an old car a 59 $266 for Vin/WOF $ 128 for 6 montyhe rego and plates

kazbanz, Jul 28, 11:39pm
right now it will cost about 700 purely for the paperwork.Then theres the repair work required to get it on the road. If you are light on funds id be tempted to suggest getting a 140$ `prepurchase` inspection done by the vtnz compliance/wof station near you. my reasoning being that its a LOT cheaper than a real compliance and if you ask them nicely they will do a full compliance inspection -kinda a claytons compliance. This means if theres a LOT of work to do to pass complianceA) you arent tied into having it fixed in 28 days or you loose your money B) because its officially not a compliance inspection the inspection doesnt get into the ltsa site. heck if it looks fine why not ask em to make the PP a compliance--kinda win/win

gemini_gurl, Jul 28, 11:44pm
Nope it needs revinned, rego has lapsed. Hmmm $700 doesn't sound to great, but it's going to be a project for the Mr so hmmmm.

Will pass on the info about the inspection, thanks Kaz

chebry, Jul 29, 12:55am
Vin failure is 21 days to repair or repay

sandypheet, Jul 29, 2:17am
20 working days.

smac, Jul 29, 3:44am
Sounds pretty steep to me. Given it's pre-'91 it only gets checked to WoF standard. Nothing invasive.

So just need (preferably) proof of ownership back to last registered owner, but at very least something showing you own it, plus note from police saying they have no interest in it (they have a form they fill in ). Then pay for VIN'ing, certification and at least 6 months licence when registering. It is a couple/few hundy, but wouldn't think 7!

trader_84, Jul 29, 7:48am
Circumnavigate the endless line of hands out that makes up the LVV gravy train by taking your time and looking for a suitable donor parts car that is still live in the system. Either swap your good stuff over onto it and go and get a WOF or, swap all of its good stuff onto your one including its tags and go and get a WOF.

kazbanz, Jul 29, 9:14am
which is 28 days
Smac Im seriously happy to be proven wrong but my understanding of a rereg was it was treated as a fresh in the country import --inspection wise.
Again moren happy to be proven wrong -my breakdown is $4oo ish for compliance and 300 ish for plates n *papers*

smac, Jul 29, 8:16pm
Can't PROVE you wrong sorry, as I don't have a copy of the bulletin that went to the TSDA's, however I know from personal experience that a rereg of a car that was registered in NZ previously prior to '91 (or 90.I forget) is inspected to WoF stadard for compliance, not the full schamalie a fresh import gets.

From memory mine cost about $700 all up, but that included $400 for LVV. However I paid a little less (licence) as over 40 years.

chebry, Jul 29, 8:35pm
You need to read not type I posted the costs ealier done in early July for a car pre 1990 previously registered in NZ. There is NO Police interest form you must do a Statutory declaration reguardinhg ownership in front of a JP. A structural certificate is $236 if the car has any non factory welding under it.

splinter67, Jul 29, 8:37pm
Hmmm smac read you post in two new tyres think more talk less lol

smac, Jul 29, 11:40pm
Eh! I continued the discussion because another poster did. It's great you posted costs, well done to you, but it wasn't me that missed your post.

mudguts2, Jul 30, 10:32pm
we were told $300 and have tpoeave the car at testing station for the day.

trader_84, Jul 31, 3:08am
$24 doing it the down and dirty way I suggested.