Motorcycle Importing

howie69, Jul 29, 12:08pm
Looking at buying a Harley in the USA and would like some advice on importing and the cost. I have imported a car from USA using Kiwi shipping and was happy with the outcome. (Compliance was a nightmare though. Any one imported a bike, what would it cost and who how did you bring it in. What is involved with compliance. Thanks for anyone with the time to reply.

trogedon, Jul 29, 9:38pm
I looked into bringing in a Jap sportsbike and it was well worth the effort & $.

sifty, Jul 29, 9:47pm
I hear the cost of converting to right hand drive can be prohibitive.

pzkpfw, Jul 29, 9:55pm
(With bikes that can actually be an issue (though not prohibitive) - due to headlight beam patterns.)

kazbanz, Jul 30, 6:08am
howie--I:m not comfortable saying for certain but there may be emission code issues with older bikes. -sorry Im not up to date with the bike side of things. BUT as pzkpfw said count on having to replace the factory headlight lens with one that dips to the left.Dont go the cheapy option because it will bite you.

howie69, Jul 30, 9:40pm
Thanks Guy's Any advice is helpful or in some cases good for a laugh. Thanks Sifty

countrypete, Jul 30, 10:13pm
You will need to get a "statement of compliance" from the local distributor.They sometimes may not issue one in the case of a model not normally imported here, and in other cases, can charge "quite a bit".Without that statement of compliance the bike can't be registered.