Car key with transponder

wron, Jul 27, 8:06am
Toyota Camry wagon, 1999, the plastic where the actual key comes out of the transponder end broke / cracked today - I've started the car and removed the key really carefully but it feels wobbly. Are there auto key places where I can have the plastic part replaced or a new key cut with my transponder chip transferred to the new one! Hope this makes sense!
I live in West Auckland.I asked late this afternoon at a major Auto Electrical shop but they didn't know and suggested visiting Toyota -could be very expensive!

beno, Jul 27, 8:09am
try armstrong locksmiths

nuberanda, Jul 27, 8:17am
Any decent locksmith (not mall one) should be able to help. Yes, transponders can be transfered (very carefully as the outside of the part is made of glass)

wron, Jul 27, 8:28am
Thanks, will ring Armstrong locksmiths - Avondale - in the morning.

kingfisher21, Jul 27, 8:30am
You can buy replacement cases off here for about $15, a new one from Toyota is about $70.

ema1, Jul 28, 1:10am
I got new transponder keys as spares as I only had the one key. They areidentical to the Toyota ones ( Toyota logo'd as well) from the USA for my Toyota Avalon( same keys as in the Camry) on eBay for a fraction of the cost that Toyota NZ ask or any other locksmith asks for here in NZ. $16 USD incl postage is what I paid for 3 blank transponder keys which I got my local key cutter to cut from my original key.
They only took a week from purchase date to arrive here at my address.
The transponder keys are easy to sign on (encode)as well as the instructions for that purpose is stated in your owners/drivers manual for your car.

wron, Jul 28, 11:15am
Thanks again everyone.
I popped into Armstrong before I read the last 2 posts, in and out in 10 minutes, really helpful, between $60 and $70 but if I'd had one of their tiny free "if you find these keys drop them into any post box" cards on my ring I would have saved 10%. That's a free service and Armstrong get them back to you for no charge, but they've got your email and contact details so I suppose a bit of advertising is coming my way - but I don't mind! Anyway I recommend them highly.