Repair costs for very small dent

peaceness, Jul 28, 7:27am
Hi a while back I reversed into a car. My fault even through the guy who must of pulled up behind me after I got in my car, parked illegally without lights on.
Anyway it was just a tiny dent and scratch that I though could have been knocked out a tiny bit of bog and painted just that door. I now have been given a bill of $1103 from state insurance. The door was replaced and the front guard and back door stripped and blended the paint into. The car is 2002 and a straight red colour. To me this seems very excessive work they have done for such a tiny dent. Would be grateful for others thoughts
Cheers

gunhand, Jul 28, 7:31am
Are we talking a 2012 ferrari here! mind you they only have two doors.
Sounds very steep though.

sw20, Jul 28, 7:31am
Get your insurance to sort it. However if his car has already been fixed and State insurance has billed you, your insurance company may tell you to bog off since you didn't put in a claim in a timely manner after the incident happened.

If you don't have any insurance, I suggest you pay the bill.

peaceness, Jul 28, 7:35am
LOL may have been cheaper if ferrari

peaceness, Jul 28, 7:37am
sw20 wrote:
Get your insurance to sort it. However if his car has already been fixed and State insurance has billed you, your insurance company may tell you to bog off since you didn't put in a claim in a timely manner after the incident happened.

If you don't have any insurance, I suggest you pay the bill.[/quote
Yes i have insurance, but with $400 excess and i can claim at anytime. Just wanting some advise on the repair costs as i think this to much $$. But thanx

gunhand, Jul 28, 7:38am
What kinda car!why was door replaced! ask to see the old one. They dont "strip" panels to blend and where was the mark on the door!

peaceness, Jul 28, 7:51am
The car is a honda FIT 2003 (not 2002). Don't know why they replaced door.
The mark was bit before mid way towards the front guard and a below the mid line. On the bill from the panel beaters it says R&R only for the back door, but they even saying they painted 2 door handles.

dent, Jul 28, 7:59am
well either way its guna be more than you excess so what dose it matter. Car panel repair isnt cheap any way you do it.

gunhand, Jul 28, 8:03am
True, but you dont go replacing doors with out a good reason.Sounds like someones ripping someone off.
Insurance give about $80 for a blend these days so even if the door that need a full paint was $300 to do, was there$500 worth of damage!

peaceness, Jul 28, 8:04am
Well it matters if people are doing excessive work when it is not needed, just because someone else is paying.

peaceness, Jul 28, 8:13am
New used door was $232.80, painting it was $287.50 blend in was $157.50 and R&R was $255.00

969pnz, Jul 28, 8:21am
You have been billed for the door, so ask to see the old one for examination and photographic evidence,then watch the rats scurrying for cover. Did you have a phone with a camera at the scene! Saves lots of aggro later!

peaceness, Jul 28, 8:31am
Thanx good advise, will ask to see the door but guessing its gone now. State insurance has sent me a black and white picture but its hard to see. They are meant to email me one as well. Didn't have camera with me at the scene. shame.

msigg, Jul 28, 11:46pm
Just pay the bill no point getting agro about it, the insurance company is in the right(representing the ownerthat you backed into). $1000 bucks nowdays is nothing, Better to pay than have it on your insurance records anyway.

kazbanz, Jul 29, 12:00am
OPyou will be amazed what damage IS expensive to fix and what isn:t unless you are in the trade and even then people get caught out. Regardless you hit them.You had the opetunity to sort it out via your insurance company and diddn:t -at this stage the utterly innocent party in the situation is out of pocket. -if the bill is 4000 or 4oo it costs you the same so don;t you feel its fair to get your insurance to sort it out so the fit owner isnt paying for your error
sorry to sound harsh but in my view the horse has bolted in this situation-Ie YOU could have organised quotes before the damage was repaired and/or put in an insurance claim yourself so YOUR insurance assessor was involved in the process.

peaceness, Jul 29, 7:28am
Don't know why you and the last person are getting so uptight about it. I was only asking for advise as the bill is very large for such a small dent. I did use to be a spray painter many years ago and remember the insurance guys saying stuff like oh well we are not paying for it so whatever. Advise i am after is when it comes to costs on today's panel beating/ spraypainting and why the need to make such a big job from something so small. At the moment no one is out of pocket the bill is not due yet and i have a right to distrupt it.

marcos1, Jul 29, 7:55am
The prices you have quoted seem reasonable to me.

Personally tho I would think a tad on the cheap side.But thats State/IAG for ya.

Disputing the invoice is a waste of time. Lodge a claim

kazbanz, Jul 29, 9:06am
Heck I aint uptight at all-but as I said the time to discuss priceing was before the job was done.

lookoutas, Jul 29, 9:40am
Like marcos sez - and don't blame the repairer for the price. It's been approved by a State assessor, so it must have warranted a replacement door.
Blending is just like ordering a burger at Mc's and being asked if you wanta upsize or add fries.
Striping for blending probably meant R&R of mouldings/door handle, which then means trims etc. The rest of the R&R would cover changing doors and associated parts.
At their crappy rates, that cost is equal to about 5 hours. So to make money, it would need to be done in 3 hours. Otherwise marcos will have to take a drop in wages.