Would you buy a car with 300 000 kms

melissa411, Jul 29, 8:16am
Have been offered a 2003 Toyota Avensis Verso 2.0P MPV Wagon for $3500.00. The body is a little rough but pretty good. I just can't get my head around the high km's. Whats your opinions please!

sw20, Jul 29, 8:18am

gman35, Jul 29, 8:19am
Very tidy ! , a very good NZ new one ay.

splinter67, Jul 29, 8:19am
MY 91 cammry has 392 on the clock still going well

tgray, Jul 29, 8:25am
You could pay $12,000 for a low K one, or buy this one for the price of a 95 corolla.
If it runs good, I know what I would rather have.

jason18, Jul 29, 8:26am
Not bad buying. I would take it

mugenb20b, Jul 29, 8:26am
300 000 kms is not much for an engine that's been well serviced and done a lot of hot long trips. However, you really need to get the rest of the vehicle checked out (chassis, steering, suspension, brakes, service history, etc.)

When it comes to spending $3500 on a car, personally, I'd check out other cars and see which one represents the best value for money.

jason18, Jul 29, 8:28am
Its not so much the engine when you get higher kms. Its things like door handles, seats, suspension rubbers etc being worn down from over use especially being an MPV it could have been used to transport kids etc so has been abused!

buyme3, Jul 29, 8:28am
Ks mean very lil really. They can do amazing ks be well serviced and go forever. Can have done bugger all ks an thrashed to death.can also have done 300and be ready to die. Take for decent test. Check engine an box cold and hot and get checked if your not confident. I often think at that price with those ks you have little to loose. If blows up in 12months you'll stil get reasonable money from wrecker or someone needin parts. So won't loose much. If you pay 5grand more for one with low ks and great nick in 12 months its gonna devalue most of what this as costs. Go for it but be smart

jason18, Jul 29, 8:28am
Hahha Bet me to it

dracs, Jul 29, 8:31am
A relatively modern car with high km is nearly always preferable to an older car with lower km for the same price. As long as there is some indication that it has been mechanically looked after and serviced properly.

carmedic, Jul 29, 8:33am
I've got a 1989 E2 Corolla wagon workshop/ occasional loan vehicle that's done about 315000km (maybe more). Other than a pissing oil leak from the back of the oil pump the other day, fixed by apprentice for under $100 parts (including new belt crank and cam seals, cam cover gasket, oil, filter and the O ring) it doesn't miss a beat.
I bought it off a paint shop for $600 that had used it as a loan car for 8 years when I was desperate for an extra loan car after one of my Nissans March's met its death on the Taupo road (a VERY sorry tail).
That said I'm not convinced a 2003 is really made of the same stuff, however high KM have never worryed me. I had a year 2000 365000 MILE Skoda Octavia tdi (ex cab) when I worked in the UK and it was totally trouble free, I sold it for a profit to a friend who got another 5 almost trouble free years (leaking rack and heater fan motor) out of it and sold it for what he paid me for it! (don't tell Jazz!)

vtecnet, Jul 29, 8:42am
Years ago I purchased a 1989 Ford Laser Sedan with 329,000k on it, was an ex rental car, I drove it for 3 years without issue, I kept up with the oil changes etc. at 370,000k i sold it to my brother inlaw, who drove it for 4 years (without ever servicing it at all) and at well over 400,000k he traded it in on a van, so cars can last.