XF/XG falcon clutch cable - ford gurus

shazza541, Jul 25, 8:22am
x1
After my clutch cable snapped the other day, ive been looking around online to see how common it is. One thing i've noticed though is all the pics i've seen show the adjustment nut on the cable to be at the firewall. On my xg the adjustment is done where the cable enters the bellhousing and there is just a plastic gromet type thing at the firewall. The fittings on the ends of the my cable are right though so it cant of been fitted backwards in the past. Does this mean they changed the adjustment position for the XGs! Cause its a pain having to get on your back to get under and adjust it. I'm getting a new cable made because noone in newzealand stocks them so could I just get them to swap the ends over and make it like all the others i've seen!

unbeatabull, Jul 25, 8:46am
Are you sure it is an original Manual and hasn't been converted!

They are relatively common. Biggest thing is making sure the pivot etc is all nicely lubed up. Normally people do clutches on them without lubing the fork, bearing, pivot etc and it puts extra load on the cable causing it to break.

We stopped stocking them ages ago. It was less then quarter the price to get replacement ones made anyway. We outwork all ours to be made by Undercar in CHCH

shazza541, Jul 25, 8:51am
I only know the history as far back as 5ish years ago, and its been manual all that time. It'll probably tell me on the build plate for certain. I've found replacement ones on ebay (all with adjuster at firewall) for around $90NZ, +freight and waiting time. Dropped my broken one off at repairers at 3pm this arvo and it'll be ready to pick up first thing tomorrow. Thats at acost of $120

unbeatabull, Jul 25, 8:57am
We were getting ours for a bit less then that, but that was at Cost to our work.

Personally, if possible I'd get them to make the cable with the adjustment at the firewall. I can't recall seeing them at the bellhousing on any model, but have seen it in weird places before on conversions . as well as one that had the cable zip tied to the steering rack and R/S tie rod lol