Getting a used car. over 200.000 Kilometres

manchana, Aug 25, 11:51am
I want to get a car that takes me from B to C but still be reliable and cheap to run. Planning to spend around $3000 but for that budget would only get cars with high kilometers. Should I try to put some more money and get a car with lower kilometers! How bad can a car with high kilometers be! Thanks.

morrisman1, Aug 25, 12:02pm
It depends on the vehicle's history. 200,000km of highway running with correct servicing will be nothing on a modern car but on the other hand if granny rides the clutch on her daily trip to the mailbox down the bumpy gravel driveway for 200,000km and doesn't service the car properly I could almost guarantee that the car is coozed.

When car shopping I use milage as a guide as to how deeply to look at the car, the more milage the more thorough I will inspect it. If it only had 80,000km then I would possibly not even bother checking wheel bearings but if it had 250,000km then wheel bearings would be high on the list of things to check. A modern engine will last a million KM if it is looked after properly. Suspension condition will depend on the road conditions and driving style rather than maintenance schedule.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 25, 12:02pm
You can get a whole lot of car with significantly less km's than that for under 3K. Just don't get sucked into only looking at Toyota's and Nissans. Think outside the box, not only will you get a cheaper car you will likely get a better safer one too.

morrisman1, Aug 25, 12:06pm
Nobody mentioned a type of car Jazz, for all we know they could be looking at a late model Punto or Passat or Golf with 200,000km, but if it was one of those it would be coozed by 200,000km anyway ;-)

rpvr, Aug 25, 7:55pm
A million KM! Isn't that over stating it a bit! Jap cars these days are pretty reliable but over 300,000k things start to happen with engines and transmissions.

matarautrader, Aug 25, 9:35pm
Just brought a 1993 Nissan Pulsar 1.5 auto for my daughter. 197,000 km on clock flew throgh warrant the next day, only had to change a blown tail light. Goes great and cost only $1260. I think its an ideal car for a first time driver

kcf, Aug 25, 10:17pm
Maintenance is crucial.My current wagon has 100,000km less than the one I had prior to that, but is in generally worse condition than the higher mile vehicle it replaced.

scoobeey, Aug 25, 10:45pm
Not everyone wants to own a fugly punto:))

richardmayes, Aug 25, 10:52pm
Get a little Mazda 323 / Ford Laser from the 1980s.

Simple, well-engineered little cars that just go and go.

Keep at least half of your $3000 in your pocket though, or you are throwing money away.

richardmayes, Aug 25, 10:55pm
Here's one that is almost run in, practically a 25 year old new car.

michael.benn, Aug 25, 11:02pm
The Punto Abarth looks awesome :D

edangus, Aug 26, 8:36am
Thats mean and in Crystal Mint also! Get 100,000 more KMs at least

franc123, Aug 29, 8:41pm
Yep more than a few people have ended up with the worst type of lemon by paying a high price up front because of low km and then paying out a heap more in subsequent repairs because, despite shiny paint and clean unworn carpets and seats the previous owner(s) have actually treated it very badly and not maintained it properly.Corroded brake hydraulic/exhaust/cooling/auto-
trans systems especially can be big financial killers on older low km cars that have only done short runs and not had the maintenance they require over many many years.It doesn't matter what make or model you are buying as has been said over and over a thorough PP inspection is essential, the outcomes of which can be surprising on cars that SEEM to be good!

ringo2, Aug 30, 2:15am
There fixed it for you.

michael.benn, Oct 7, 4:51pm