Shonky Used Car Trader

Page 2 / 2
therafter1, Aug 30, 10:26am
At a glance without consulting VIRM.

(1) fail (2) fail (3) fail (4) fail (5) fail (6) can be a fail, depends how bad it is and what it is leaking on to (7) fail

beno, Aug 30, 10:48am
Hey I know that guy, His name is Abdul. he and his Afganistan mates also run the tyre shop, mechanical and panel shop at the bottom of selwyn st by the lights.in Onehunga. they're also involved in the auto sparky shop further up selwyn st near the pet food shop. They are at the budget end of the car industry and supply service to people who cant afford dealer prices. And he's a bloody hard worker.in the market where theres little profit.

westwyn, Aug 30, 10:49am
Do the honest majority of the industry a favour, and report this to NZTA- you already have enough information to back up your complaint, assuming the vendor still has the vehicle. Two options- (a) the second WOF inspection was to all intents, bogus- a write-your-own jobbie, or (b) the plates and tag were swapped (less likely), which seems less plausible as the owner would be taking the risk that the WOF inspector would only read the VIN tag under the bonnet, and not check the windscreen ID tag- plus remember to strip the old WOF off the car, remove the rego label, etc. Oh- and the odometer incompatibility. If you contact NZTA tomorrow, they may have a chance to re-inspect the vehicle before it "vanishes".

therafter1, Aug 30, 11:14am
One of which probably has a WOF Inspection Authority lol

newtec1, Aug 30, 6:26pm
Is that you Abdul.!

tgray, Aug 30, 7:24pm
Sounds like your a car dealer yourself if you have bought and sold that many. Because of this revelation, (sold about 40 cars!) I have no sympathy for you now, as you surely know the rules in buying a car by now.

tigra, Aug 30, 8:59pm
Believe me - you've been lucky! organiseation i work with deals with many complaints about vehicles bought off TM without viewing or testing.

lordv81, Aug 30, 10:40pm
I have owned over 400 cars and no m not a car dealer.Have you not read the thread!I was NOT the one buying the car I was there just to dive one back.And who are you to judge me as a car dealer!I like cars and when I was young I owned all the cars I wanted ie chargers,falcon coupe,monaros,comaros,the odd rotary,motor bikes,boats,trucks in fact anything with wheels that took my fancy.Usually involved alot of swaps and trades.I have worked hard to own cars that I enjoy and are far from being a car dealer.I also want a tank and a plane,will that make me a soldier and a pilot! andIm not asking for yours or anyones sympathy but warning people of the shonky dealer.Theres no hard luck story here,the DEAL didnt go through,the salesman was happy and my mate was happy that he didnt have to buy the car after we found the faults.

tgray, Aug 31, 12:25am
If that's the case then, you would surely hold the NZ record for buying and selling that many cars, without being classed as a dealer in the eyes of the law.
That would be like buying a car every 30 days for over 33 years in a row!
You are a very privaleged individual indeed!

lordv81, Aug 31, 12:36am
I know others with way more than that.Buying and selling cars is a hobby and not to make a living.To be a car dealer you have to be selling and buying more than 6{may have changed} vehicles a year for the purpose of financial gain or profit.I buy cars to trade,barter,or strip to rebuild something else,sometimes takes 3 or 4 cars to make one,and I dont always make money on every car or bike.And considering I started "playing with cars and bikes"when I was 14 and am now 37,I dont think that classes me as a used car dealer,more of excessive hobbiest.

therafter1, Aug 31, 12:40am
Not necessarily, my leader takes on anything up to 20 or 30 cars a year that require either major repair or re-homing for various reasons and he changes all of them into his name so he can manage their CVL status. Some may be moved on as is, some may be repaired and re-sold, and some may be de-registered and sent to the scrappers . and he doesn??

hopie, Aug 31, 12:45am
My brother brought a Cef of them about 6-8 months ago. Nothing wrong with it at all.

therafter1, Aug 31, 12:46am
You aren??

kazbanz, Aug 31, 1:57am
Sorry dude but you are wrong.
-Just to be clear i don't care if you are or you aren't a dealerbut the law is different from your understanding of it.
You can'tbuy or sellANYcars with the intent of making a profit unless you are a registered trader.
The 6 cars thing is a bit of an urban legend

brapbrappy, Aug 31, 2:05am
Bet you have a lovely backyard and your neighbours love you.

lordv81, Aug 31, 2:09am
Thats all good,instead of making just me a dealer that rulemakes a shit load of people a dealer.I have had two warnings from TM saying that the allowable limit of selling cars is 4 per every twelve months,it must be just a TM policy.

lordv81, Aug 31, 2:16am
Hahaha,Na they dont mind as now I only have a few cars but it did get a bit rediculous back in my single days with too much space and spare $$$ and never enough cars.I had to lease a workshop at one stage as well as a house.But have slowed down now.But am planning on moving to get a BIG shed/workshop so will be selling my house.Ill get accused of being a real estate agent now lol.

tgray, Aug 31, 3:03am
lordv81 wrote:

"I dont always make money on every car or bike."
Unquote.
So you buy hundreds and hundreds of cars, fix them up, drive them around and then sell them again, with no intention to may money on any of them.
By your own figures say you have bought a car on average every 20 days for the last 23 years, but your not a dealer.
That's one hell of a story!

audi_s_ate, Aug 31, 3:15am
I think you're being a tad judgemental - I have friends who continually buy cars and very rarely make money out of them. Some people do it for fun/hobby. Nothing wrong with it. It is an astounding amount of cars though!

kazbanz, Aug 31, 4:16am
In fairness theres something about 6 cars somewhere but the MAIN part of the legislation is what I posted above. Selling A car or more with the intent to make profit means you are meant to be a trader.
You are right there are hundreds of others doing it.
There always have been. Mehh
Please understand I'm not judging you. Just pointing out a legal definition

lordv81, Aug 31, 4:35am
Yepits all good I appreciate you posting the actual rule as there is alot of "urban myth" as you say surrounding the purchase and trade of cars as well as car parts etc.I got into it because it was fun driving the older Aussie and American cars especially HQ-WB model v8s.But that car scene aint like it used to be,the price for one HQ door or guard now was more than I used to pay for a whole going car! crazy lol.

tgray, Aug 31, 4:36am
The Commerce commission uses 6 car sales as the maximum a non dealer could reasonably sell in a year, without arousing suspicion that someone is trading illegally.
If more than 6 sales are recorded by an individual in one calender year, a red flag is generated and a please explain letter is sent out.
If your explanation is reasonable and you can satisfy them you are not buying and selling for the intention of making a profit, you are ok.
Most people treat this as a green light to sell up to 6 with immunity.
Kaz is right, buying even one car for the intention of making a profit is against the law unless your a registered motor vehicle trader.