So over car shopping.

sweetfanny, Aug 25, 1:00pm
Got a Holden LX8 Adventra wagon, which I love. But due to my business being nearly ruined in the quakes, I can't afford it at the mo. Looking for a much cheaper car that looks cool, and room to fit my large dogs in for travelling to shows. I just can't find anything im happy with. Certainly doesn't help not wanting to sell my car.

v8_mopar, Aug 25, 7:09pm
Maybe you should just keep your car and buy a cheap run around for now. something like what im selling

whqqsh, Aug 25, 7:37pm
theres plenty of big cars going cheap ATM, & a few jappas getting bigger in their wagon sizes. It really depends on budget & feel so its all up to you. Whats 'cool' wil be priced accordingly as many others will want it, good luck.

3tomany, Aug 25, 9:01pm
if all you are after is a car cheaper to run just trade the adventurer on a commy wagon with a six they are cheap, no worse on fuel than a mid size car and you wont feel so bad about going without the adventura

v8_mopar, Aug 25, 9:56pm
Think id find it hard to be over car shopping.

Its really a never ending enjoyable job :D

sweetfanny, Aug 25, 10:04pm
Haha I normally enjoy it to. Thing is its all financed, do I am going to lose shit loads on it and end up paying money for something I don't own.No cheap commodore wagons down here. Oh and I certainly don't have any cash to buy a cheap run about.

stevexc, Aug 25, 10:32pm
Hmm car shopping. I finally have permission from the wife to sell my RAV4 and get something I actually like.So I go looking on Trademe and can't find a damn thing :(

v8_mopar your XR6 is nice but I'm not after a wagon

thejazzpianoma, Aug 25, 10:43pm
So the Punto Abarth didn't appeal in the end!
Have you tried a Golf GTI and/or the Alfa 147 Yet!

I was thinking the other day. I know you were wanting a Hot Hatch as such but perhaps take a regular MK5 Golf for a drive (Because a regular MK5 would just be in your price range I think). They are not supposed to be a hot hatch but they still do 0 - 100 in 8.5 seconds.

The 6 speed DSG is a magic transmission to use and despite the performance the MK5 is going to give you outstanding economy. As crazy as it sounds we are talking the sort of economy you would typically get from a 1300cc car of the time yet its got a 2000cc engine and a quick one at that.

Worth a thought in my mind as they are a very well sorted vehicle and keep a lot of the big car feel that you likely are used to. The Audi A3 is the same car in a different party dress so that would suit too if you prefer, although oddly the Golf's are often better spec'd. Just stick to the 2.0 version though, the 1.6 is not quick enough.

Happy shopping.

pebbles61, Aug 25, 10:52pm
The time will come when I shall have to go shopping for a 'modern' car, I think it could be fun. =/

elect70, Aug 25, 11:53pm
Piontless,save $$ for the petrolfor the V8 . Why pay 2 lots of rego &WOFwhen only using 1 plus the capital outlay . False economy .

v8_mopar, Aug 26, 12:42am
Yes shes a nice old wagon. Someone will snap her up :). Lots of watchers after 24 hours

kazbanz, Aug 26, 2:40am
YEA RIGHT !Come with me on my next car shopping trip.

kazbanz, Aug 26, 2:41am
So don't sell your car then. Refinance it if you wanna keep it

sw20, Aug 26, 2:57am
Yeah this.

Talk to your finance company and try and refinance it over a longer term so you can lower the payments.

mugenb20b, Aug 26, 3:05am
Keep the car.get rid of the dogs.simple.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 3:15am
Yeah but what you are doing is not really car shopping, its more appliance wholesale.

v8_mopar, Aug 26, 5:47am
Cool a trip to japan

kazbanz, Aug 26, 6:05am
as oposed to the guys I meet buying euro's who openly state they are buying expensive garden ornaments.

kazbanz, Aug 26, 6:06am
Yea mate--Next trip is likely just after christmas.-Nothing like grovelling under cars when its below zero

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 6:08am
Of course, those of us who have bought automotive works of art don't even need to be driving to enjoy them. They look beautiful just parked in the drive. and when we do go for a drive. that's a whole other level of enjoyment again!

kazbanz, Aug 26, 6:14am
Nope more like the wiring etc is so biodegradable and once owned they tend to fill up with the stuff owners of euro's are usually full of. As such ornimental shrubbery roots easilly in the manure and grows fairly fast out from the collapsed windows.

bignzer1, Aug 26, 7:27am
Is that the new way of explaining the fact they need repair again lol