Deregistered car

skippy33, Aug 25, 11:34pm
hi all,wife has a 1998 honda odyssy,motor is on its way out,leaks and burns oil,is only a 6 seater,wanted a 7 seater,stuffed up when i bought it,didnt look probly,have found anouther odyessy,same year,same colour,mint motor and trans,body in better condition then wifes one,but its deregistered,what would my course of action be,ideas.

vtecintegra, Aug 25, 11:37pm
Buy a registered 7 seater.

They're cheap as anything now anyway, so its not worth swapping engines and seats (and regardless of value its certainly not worth doing anything illegal wrt the identity of the vehicles)

wimwom, Aug 26, 12:00am
Nothing wrong with swapping plates and tags according to some on here.In fact some even suggested you can get a form and pay $30 at VTNZand it became legal.Lol.
Seriously, best bet would be to wreck or scrap your old van and use money to re vin the other one, it's not the big deal many make it out to be.

herdmover, Aug 26, 12:09am
Hi. Can anyone help me please. I am looking for a car that has no warrent or rego for my son to learn to drive in. It would need to be manual.
We dont want to spend lots of money though. Maybe up to $200. We have a friends farm that he can drive on so no rego or warrent needed. Canterbury area.
I hope that someone can help me. PLEASE.

kazbanz, Aug 26, 12:09am
I'd find out WHY the "mint" one was derego'd. If just lapsed its worth doing the sums FIRST to see if its more economical to buy one with live rego or if this one is cheap enough to register.
OR I guess if time isn't an issue ,the derogod car is cheap enough and you are a mechanical type person you could swap the bolt on parts from one car to the other. As long as the two odditties are the same year everything should swap. If not the same year tell us what engine size the two oddities are and what year and we can tell you if it all swaps over

msigg, Aug 26, 1:14am
Yea in days gone buy when we had more freedom you would just swap the plates, nowdays you have to do more. But as someone suggestedif you swapped the plate and vin from the fire wall(if same colour, miliage) then no one would know in normal circumstances, but thats your choice. Nothing to do with safety, just revenue.

mothergoose_nz, Aug 26, 1:26am
engine number would be picked up maybe if you ever sold it

gizmsme, Aug 26, 1:37am
Have worked in that industry, often engine number not recorded / enginesoften changed.

kngfhrt, Aug 26, 1:48am
ppl are forever giving there cars a heart transplant after blowing there motors up so i wouldnt let that be a problem long as the new motor going in is semi legit. and as for the vin plate etc your find your unused rivet gun finally comeing in handy.

kngfhrt, Aug 26, 1:53am
you can legietly change a motor so why not a body. men have been tradeing in there wives now for years!LOL

kazbanz, Aug 26, 2:39am
Skippy -it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what you CAN do.
Heck if you LEGALLY own both vehicles I can totally empathise with you if you go down that path.
BUT you can't legally just swap the VIN tag and rego plates from one vehicle to the other.
Engine,seats,gearbox ,brakes -etc etc but not the main body and identification

skippy33, Aug 26, 3:03am
hmmm,cheers for input