South island car prices

haynet, Aug 24, 8:53am
Cant believe how expensive cars are down here.
been looking for a economical hatchback and prices are easily 2000-3000k more expensive than the North Island.

fordcrzy, Aug 24, 8:55am
ya reckon!
i find all the clean bargains are inthe south. evrytime i see a "yup thats the one" car.its always down south.

stev0690, Aug 24, 8:56am
Tru last 2 cars i have owned bought from aucks flew up drove back, was cheaper than buying one from here.mind you would be a bit careful buying car from chch now after quakes with the rough roads since.

likit, Aug 24, 9:01am
True,last car we purchased from Wgtn & had it shipped down on interislander unaccompanied,we caught train & picked it up off ferry,even with those extra expenses it was still $1000 cheaper with half the kilometers

thejazzpianoma, Aug 24, 9:05am
I havn't looked much lately but there were some dealers in Christchurch absolutely taking the mickey on prices. They had cheap $4500 cars listed for $12'000 and had the gall to try and pretend that was great value.

Mind you, not as bad as a certain dealer who will remain nameless (not in south island) who is trying to get $17 995 for a 2003 Suzuki Swift Sport. and that's the old old shape one, not the one that got really popular starting in 2004. I really wonder how some of these people can sleep at night.

Keep at it and cast a wide net. I have seen some fantastic bargains around. How much did you want to spend!

pc_evo, Aug 24, 9:11am
They cost more here cause there maintainted properly.

franc123, Aug 24, 9:11am
You certainly have to know what asking prices are up North before looking around, there are people with silly expectations for pretty ordinary vehicles. This seems to be worse from Otago southwards from what I see, if what you are looking for is on average 1500-2k more expensive certainly look at transporting or doing the fly drive ferry thing if you can spare the time. You don't have to tolerate greed from anyone in the current market.

haynet, Aug 24, 9:20am
Been looking a 1.3 sports model 2002 Toyota Duet (re branded Daihatsu Storia) in Hamilton with only 25000km for $7995.
In Timaru they've got stock standard 1.0l 2001 model Sirion with 60000km for a similar price.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 24, 9:32am
You can get a LOT more car than that for your money. I paid less than that recently for a 2007 hatch thats much higher spec than the Duet, although it did have more km's on the clock.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 24, 9:40am
Did you need 4 doors or would 2 doors be O.K!

There is an 06 Fiat Grande Punto at Turners in Christchurch for under 10K. Its been there for a bit so perhaps go and arm twist them a bit. If its in really top condition its price would be pretty good for one of those. Have a look at it on their website.

Great little car for your money too, they look good are are very low maintenance. Parts are cheap, and they are super economical. They look really sharp too, basically the current shape and its designed by Guigiaro (Giorgetto Guigiaro is car designer of the century).

We have one and find it really good.

kazbanz, Aug 24, 8:09pm
Haynet -something to keep in mind is the cost to you of buying in the north island VS close to home.
I always recommend adding $600 to wellington cars and $800 to anything taupo north when you are comparing cars.
This is for either trucking the car down or flying up and driving back.
(keeping in mind lost income whilst travelling)
The same applies in reverse of course.
Not for a second saying you are wrong but this is something often forgotten.

whqqsh, Aug 24, 8:10pm
I was thinking the same

friendly_prawn, Aug 24, 8:15pm
agree totally.
spot the bargain, then its like, damn that's way down south.

pc_evo, Aug 24, 8:28pm
PS i live near timaru, but i WOULD NOT car shop there, just a tip, go to chch, youll get far better deal.

casper35, Aug 24, 8:39pm
You have to watch the chch cars to a lot of people are ditching them as the are always getting supp/shockys and wheel aliment fixed.

petal_91, Aug 24, 9:05pm
I was wondering why the suspension arms and bushes on my car were stuffed after only two years since they were last replaced. Put it down to the fact they were cheap aftermarket parts from Repco and not OEM, but maybe it was from driving in Chch. But I only visited there a dozen times or so in the last year for weekend shopping trips or whatever.

whqqsh, Aug 24, 9:11pm
a lot of classic car & hot rod owners arent driving their cars at all or only if nessecary due to the condition of many roads (or so a mate in Chch was telling me)

stevexc, Aug 24, 9:28pm
It's only very bad in the east.I live in the east but work in the west so I'm out there every day and the roads seem fine, apart from Merivale and the hill areas.

Recently replaced the control arms, most bushes, and rear shocks in my Fairmont.Also the rear shocks in my RAV4 and have given it 2 alignments in the past 18 months or so.

However those could have been due for replacement anyway.The Fairmont is nearly 20 years old with 110,000km on it.The RAV4 is slightly newer but has 160,000km on it.My wife's Orthia drives over exactly the same roads but has only done 80,000km and has had no problems at all.

mortluby, Aug 24, 11:24pm
Our work Commodore wagons are getting a hammering, but we are carrying heavy loads and working all around the city.

tgray, Aug 24, 11:51pm
Ahh, you just couldn't help yourself could you Jazz!
LOL.

haynet, Aug 25, 3:18am
Thanks thejazzpianoma but I'm not really interested in a fiat as I prefer to stick to makes and models I know.

kazbanz, Aug 25, 3:54am
You mean the good quality stuff like mazda demio'sand toyota Vitz's!

geedubu, Aug 25, 4:42am
I find the opposite to the OP, most of the interesting cars seem to be lurking down in the South Island!