96 BMW 320i auto 119k. The good, the bad.?

bjdw, Aug 19, 7:10am
Looking at one that has a price tag of 4k.

scoobeey, Aug 19, 7:25am
how bigs ya wallet for repairs LOL

bmwnz, Aug 19, 7:27am
I would seriously not recommend a 320 if you are looking to enjoy the BMW driving experience (320 is underpowered). 325 is a better choice and 328 even better (330 is excellent, but later/dearer model).

robotnik, Aug 19, 7:32am
At least a 320 is a six banger. Now a 318i really would be sad.

I'd say big weak points on the E36 are the cooling system, and the power steering rack. Also general interior fit and finish is poor: I'd imagine on a car that old all the panels will be loose, it will rattle a lot and the roof lining will have fallen down.

bmwnz, Aug 19, 8:09am
I agree about the power steering rack. I have had to replace them on 3/4 of all Bimmers I've owned.

mugenb20b, Aug 19, 8:21am
$4k for a 16 year old car!

The good: chassis
The bad: its age, electrical problems, brittle plastic under bonnet components.

franc123, Aug 19, 8:31am
You have to watch that the good chassis isn't falling to bits either, most of those E36's are of an age where bushes and balljoints are giving up, along with brakes and hydraulics etc. You need to be checking the whole thing over from bumper to bumper, interiors disintegrating, driveline leaks and harsh auto shifts, odd vibrations when accelerating or braking, dirty and/or leaking cooling systems, heaters not working, high temp gauge readings, instrument displays playing up are all signs of a car to avoid. Would also agree that you should get a 325i or bigger, large performance drop and bugger all economy gain with a 320. if you are going to go smaller you may as well buy a Corolla or Pulsar etc, the performance will be similar or may even be worse.

deviant.s, Aug 19, 8:37am
Generally avoid 320i's they are under powered and uneconomical. Get a 318i if you want economy or a 325i or higher for power.

buyme3, Aug 19, 9:16am
the bad;;;;;;;; its a 320BMW
the good;;;;;;;you haven't bought it yet

robotnik, Aug 19, 10:02am
The chassis on the E36 is not that great. The sub frame is prone to developing cracks - a big problem with modified cars though, not really with a 320 shopping car.

foto-gifts, Aug 19, 5:31pm
A 96 car is likely to have better interior, but door card fabric may still come loose. Transmission issues affect Jap bmws that use the JATCO Auto box, but I believe by 96, this was rectified with a TCU rom update.

Look for a service history around the cooling system. In particular, the water pump, plastic impellers were used and would fail as they deteriorated with age. But this part should be replaced anyway at 100k. Radiator necks can crack. Also the heater control valves fail. They leak and/or seize up. New Valves are expensive, but that US auction site has them at good prices.

I agree on steering racks too, mainly 94 and older but still be aware. Also rear shock mounts, a VERY easy DIY though, and can be fixed for less than $50 from parts sourced abroad and an hour or less of your time. These cars are actually pretty DIY friendly :)

Pluses are, the 320i is, IMO, very very good on fuel and is a great 6 cylinder city car. Mines more economical around town than a friends 323i and keeps up with him no trouble at with spirited city driving. Open road cruises go to the 323i but fuel use is similar, going very slightly my way, and my foot is heavier.

Its torque-y, smooth as silk i6 and its exhaust note always impress my passengers. Its a great cruiser.

with the issues mentioned above addressed, (as with any car that's getting old), these cars are great.
my 5cents