Whats with revving the crap out of a car

Page 1 / 2
reggienz, Aug 14, 10:49pm
I'm amused by the amount of seemingly back yard mechanics who believe revving the crap out of their engines is going to diagnose any problem. Any day now Im going to hear an almighty bang as a rod makes its way out of the block. I was taught early in my apprenticeship that over revving an engine does a lot more harm than good. Love to hear your comments.

friendly_prawn, Aug 14, 11:07pm
took my car in for a trade in and thats exactly what the car yard did.
Revved the crap out of it, and unfortunately blew the engine.
350 V8 too. Started blowing smoke.
Ok must have been ready to give up the ghost for that to happen, still, I wasnt very happy.
First and last time I allowed that to happen.
Not sure of the ins and outs of it mechanically but no way I would put up with any one doing that to my car ever again.

sifty, Aug 14, 11:34pm
I recall a wof inspector asking me to take the old HQ up to around 3000rpm for an emissions test (no legal requirement I know, but I was curious). I sat it around 3000 for him, and he said Nah mate, came round and floored it for what seemed an eternity. Poor old girl nearly shook to bits. Tosser

And I once started the old Triumph speed twin after a period of non-use, and the throttle stuck full on. Sadly I had no way to kill it other than stalling as the kill switch didn't work, and it has no key, so sat there for a few seconds imagining the damage caused by the dormant-to-screaming status until I twigged to yank the plug leads off.

Still goes ok.

friendly_prawn, Aug 15, 12:52am
speedtwin! did you say speedtwin!
First road bike I ever owned.
would give my left you know what for another.
They rarely come up for sale and when they do they go for good coin.
Wouldnt want me to store your one for you would you!

splinter67, Aug 15, 12:53am
The rota wont fit in it FP lol

johnf_456, Aug 15, 3:09am
Some times a good old Italian tune / thrash does wonders.

thunderbolt, Aug 15, 3:21am
Many years ago I helped a mate fit a 302C into an XC wagon.
Started it up and the lifters rattled away like they had no oil.
Ran it until warm and gave it a big rev while shutting the drivers door.
No return spring on the carb ended with the engine free revving at wide open throttle. The drivers door would not open from the outside so it was a sprint around the car to get in the passengers side to shut it down.
Closed the throttle and restarted engine, ran quiet as a mouse!

kazbanz, Aug 15, 3:28am
x1
I can't speak for others but it is part of our normal process once the car is well warmed up to sit it at about 3/4 throttle for about a minute.
The only reason being that lots of stop and start/very short runs in a humid enviroment puts about 1/2 a l of water in the exhaust. -we like that dried out

friendly_prawn, Aug 15, 3:50am
I think I'd be too scared to drive a 71 Pontiac Firebird with a rotary in it.
Could you imagines showing up at the Beach Hop with that combo! .

trogedon, Aug 15, 5:18am
It amuses me when someone can't get their car started and then when they do they rev the heck out of it like "You've been a bad dog, I'm gonna kick you till you obey me".

bigfatmat1, Aug 15, 8:28am
clears the excess fuel away

bigfatmat1, Aug 15, 8:30am
personally I don't see a problem most cars have rev limiters as well as nuetral rev limiters

wind.turbine, Aug 15, 9:10am
I find I don't have an issue with it as I always do it to our old v8 land rover.
it helps to flush out the engine.
putting around does not do an engine any good nether the spark plugs.
its good to give them a good rev every so often

extrayda, Aug 15, 9:10am
Depends on the car, but my V8 HQ needed a bit of a rev to get it running smoothly if it was being restarted after sitting for only a short while (maybe less than 20 minutes).Cefiro just turn the key and start it up, no need to rev it.Carb vs Injection may be the thing there.

beblowin, Aug 15, 9:13am
try tuning twin carbs on a v8 at idle, it just doesnt happen at idle

pollymay, Aug 15, 9:13am
My VN chokes up if it's been idling a while, lots of cylinders = lots of water in the exhaust. I rev the hell out of it and steam goes everywhere for a minute and it's all better.

Of course I make sure to hide the steam behind a wall of tyre smoke.

pebbles61, Aug 15, 9:31am
Reving the crap out an engine doesn't seem useful to me, but I do rev mine up a bit when I'm tuning her, between adjustments etc.

mugenb20b, Aug 15, 10:03am
I agree, most, if not all cars that I work on, get a compulsory 'Italian tune up'.

kaymay88, Aug 15, 10:22am
because we are men and we like to do noisy shit to piss off the neighbors and show the missus that we are manly.

johnf_456, Aug 15, 10:27am
Not to mention the adrenaline flowing.

mugenb20b, Aug 15, 10:30am
Adrenaline.in a Fiat! No.

pnh4, Aug 15, 10:32am
wrong way to rev an engine bud' better to rev' it up momentarily then let it down, keeping a load on it as if driving.

johnf_456, Aug 15, 10:33am
Good point don't forget to add "euro cars", multiplias, vw's, alfa's. I await my punishment from the salesman.

mugenb20b, Aug 15, 10:40am
Actually, just today, I got to drive a 2004 Mercedes.something. A big 6 cylinder turbo diesel. Man, that beast was ripping tarmac to shreads at full throttle(or tyres rather). The torque was just phenomenal. Nice, quiet and clean running engine.

pnh4, Aug 15, 10:42am
Here's a good example, how to rev an engine, http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=w91GAQLhV4Q