BT-50 clutch + flywheel replacing

jamie83, Aug 14, 8:00am
I have recently purchased a 2008 4wd BT50 from a yard. 74km. It appears to be in pretty new condition. I emailed the previous service agent to get some service information and found out it has had 4 clutch and flywheel replacements at 8700km 25800km 40900km 59800km. This strikes me as a bit odd. I haven't followed it up just yet but was wondering if anyone could help explain this. Another thing to note at 40k service it had the 4wd system rewired so 2wd low ratio was possible. I'm guessing this would be to tow in tricky or steep situations! any help appreciated

carlz05, Aug 14, 8:11am
Theres something wrong with this.A clutch lasts about 100k's.Replacing every 20,000km or so is not right. Replacing the flywheel is strange too, the clutch must be tearing out the flywheel.Others may know more, but it is odd.

petermcg, Aug 14, 8:22am
I think you will find that there are BT50 ford problems with fly wheel and clutch all round the globe, google it and check some of the forums.

xs1100, Aug 14, 8:38am
working on previous history i hope either (A) you got some spare cash for the clutch job thats due soon (B) if you have a warrenty dont mention this thread pre existing condition

morrisman1, Aug 14, 9:17am
probably one of those stupid dual-mass flywheels.

jamie83, Aug 14, 9:25am
I have looked at some forums and it appears it is a bit of a problem for them towing heavy caravans. 4 replacements just seems stupid though. Would have thought they would have put in a heavy duty clutch. I will contact the mechanic and see if he can shed any light. Hope it isn't an on going problem or has caused other wear as I really wanted a stress free ute!

mantagsi, Aug 14, 9:38am
+1 hole in one, absolutely diabolical bloody things, to fix a problem that didn't really matter seeing as a ute is supposed to be a 'working vehicle', I think these excess attempts at refinement are just not helping anymore

mantagsi, Aug 14, 9:42am
http://www.xtremeclutch.com.au/page.asp!parentid=4&parent2id=25&productid=41 - here ya go - solid flywheel and clutch kit for example, pop this in and it should theoretically be hassle free for 100,000kms, just means you might feel a bit more vibration from the driveline, diesel doing its thing

morrisman1, Aug 14, 9:50am
they are just one step towards disposable vehicles. The quest for the best vehicle (when new) at the expense of cheap maintenance. I am quite happy with my n14 sentra which costs nothing to keep running. The other car, a 1999 Primera has original clutch and flywheel of course and has 212000 on it as a general runabout. It is a horribly expensive $205 to replace with a genuine clutch kit when it does decide to give up the ghost though.

mantagsi, Aug 14, 9:57am
Hard case, the last clutch I did was in an old 1992 laser, cost me just shy of $200, and with the car having 350 - 380 thousand on the clock I didn't even bother machining the flywheel - at that age, I consider the vehicle experienced enough to machine its own parts to correctly bed in when fitted :D of course I wouldn't be that rough on my newer car however!

morrisman1, Aug 14, 10:01am
My sister's mazda 323 needed a new clutch the other week. Cost me $120 for the it, including release bearing and even came with an alignment tool! A couple hours out in the shed and it was done. Awful car though but at least the clutch was cheap.

franc123, Aug 14, 10:28am
These DMF's are a sick joke in a commercial vehicle, and a cash cow for the outfits selling replacement ones. Especially given the silly amount of weight these modern Jap utes are allegedly rated to tow.Get it replaced with a solid kit.