After a rough price to replace a clutch

Page 1 / 2
pj_r, Aug 11, 10:51am
hey um ive never had to get a clutch replaced in my ej20tt legacy wagon 1994 before does anyone know how much it will cost. and a good place in southland to do it

thunderbolt, Aug 11, 10:55am
I would expect a bill over a grand. Not the easiest or cheapest vehicle to repair.

hijacka, Aug 11, 11:01am
They use a 225mm clutch plate pull type, cost of the clutch kit is around $350. Labour round 3-4hundy,

stepman69, Aug 11, 2:12pm
The local garage here in good ol' Featherston quoted my niece (who has a twin turbo Legacy) $1200 to do her clutch. He sounded a bit dodgy though cos he wouldn't let her supply the new clutch kit (he wanted to buy it to make money on that too).

sw20, Aug 11, 10:03pm
What is the problem with a customer supplying the parts! Customer may have better hookups on quality parts than the mechanic.

Every industry has stupid customers, as long as they pay their bill who cares!

supernova2, Aug 11, 10:05pm
And when the kit supplied by the customer is a dud who is going to pay to do it all again!IMHO the garage guy is far from dodgy and why shouldn't he get a mark up!He's the one who has to obtain the parts which takes time.Oh that's right the Motor Trade is a branch of the North Pole and all tradies are Santa's little helpers!

turton, Aug 11, 10:13pm
customers should be allowed to supply their own parts if they want. The last garage i went to, i supplied my own oil (because they didnt have full synthetic), and they were fine with it. Id rather supply my own clutch kit as well knowing that a quality part is going in my car.

sw20, Aug 11, 10:18pm
You probably can get it cheaper at the supermarket.

Supermarkets pay their bills.

gmphil, Aug 11, 10:20pm
Yup done that strickeddiet there more than happy help out

mugenb20b, Aug 11, 10:40pm
Welcome back.hornnett.

supernova2, Aug 11, 10:58pm
Bit of a difference with a bottle of oil and a clutch kit.So you supply your own clutch kit unless you stand there and watch how do you know it was actually fitted and not swopped for a cheap chinees knock off and your "good" kit onsold.

I would have thought that if the customer can get "a good price" on the clutch they would have the contacts to get "a good price" on fitting as well.

Lets see.Heres my car, needsa clutch but I'll supply that.Garage rips box out then finds clutch supplied is wrong one.Car on hoist and no parts.Stops workshop until parts sorted out - who's going to do that.And on it goes.

I think the garage had the right idea - he didn't want or need a customer like that.

carmedic, Aug 11, 11:01pm
The customer normally thinks they have such 'hookups' because the invoice from BNT says 'trade' on it!
Be aware that when you get me to fit a part to save a couple of bucks that when that part fails you'll be on your own.
just saying!

farmer-boi, Aug 11, 11:07pm
i supplied my own clutch kit and a few other engine/performance partsfor my skyline and too be honest the company was more then happy with that as i knew what i wanted. Just because some one might not have the time or knowledge to fix it or do the work them selfs does notmean the are a stupid customer.(And i dont think RIPS is a back yard garage)

dent, Aug 11, 11:09pm
Yup It puts me off when a customer says they want to supply there own parts. Just asking for trouble. If this ever happens I make sure that they are aware if theres a fault afterwards we will cover the labour if its bad workmanship But if its a part fault they will have to pay for the labour again and try to claim it back off the company who they got the part from. Isn't it easier for the customer to pay a little extra for the part through the workshop. Then if there's any faults all the customer has to do is bring the car back, fault is repaired and the workshop worry's about the warranty claim. Plus I know for instance repco wont cover any labour costs if the part is brought through retail. They will supply a new part for free but that's all.

bwg11, Aug 11, 11:20pm
A+ Common sense at last.

farmer-boi, Aug 11, 11:47pm
either way they are providing a service to the customer by doing the work as that is there job. As a customer i have every right to provide my own parts yea i understand that it might not be covered by them. Also i would imagine most customers that want to supply there own parts would do a wee bit of research into the parts they want put in there car. I sure as hell dont want no cheap ass piece of crap clutch or some cheap knock of engine part put into my pride and joy, and even if the company marks up the price of labour it is still going to be cheaper with out cost of them putting parts on bill aswell. Also if parts have been supplyed it should mean that the job is done quicker as there is no waiting around for them to arrive. At the end of the day the customer is going to pay one way or anther and the customer is always right thats just the way it is

farmer-boi, Aug 12, 3:20am
just because some people may not have the knowledge to fix there car does not mean they dont have the knowledge about what parts they want nor does it make them SLOW. And here you are saying the garage is trying to save (customer) money but yet them supply there own part is frowned upon, just because they not going to make as much money from the job . just goes to show that some places really are just out to rip the customer off.

dent, Aug 12, 3:21am
and what happins when the parts faulty and the workshop refuses to cover the labour. The customer is guna be pissed off and bad mouth that workshop by telling others. And im sure they wont mention the part that they supplied the parts.

farmer-boi, Aug 12, 3:49am
Yea i do agree with what you are saying there are plenty of scum out there that will try to rip people off and yes most do have that look about them. and on the other side yes there are some customers that are dishonest in the sense that they will get work done to car then will never pay any $ and i understand that the mechanics run at a huge loss when it comes to people like that. But i still cant see the harm in someone like myself or the OP taking the parts and vehicle to a well known company/garage to get the work done. I USED to own a highly worked skyline so the parts i brought were always top of the line good products just didnt have time to fit or knowledge to wire in these parts. so yea i can see what you are saying dont get me wrong but really cant see the prob if they decent parts other then the fact garage not making as much money

supernova2, Aug 12, 4:32am
And i bet your "highly worked skyline" didnt go to Joe Blow Backyard Motors either nor for that matter to the local garage.Again its a big difference between a customer who is driving a highly worked car and knows what he wants compared to a customer who you have never seen before who rocks up with an everyday car and then wants to try and trim the price by supplying parts (that may or may not be correct) that he got at mates rates for a box or two or some other shady deal.

Its like this if you want a deal then you ask the garage if they are interested before you get the quote.I know nothing about Suby clutches (nor do I ever want too) but perhaps if you rock up with the clutch kit in the bootand then ask the garage for a fitting quote you might get a much bertter reception as that way the garage guy knows what he is being asked to fit and can satisfy himself as to quality correctness etc before starting.

budgel, Aug 13, 1:27am
That is how I do it with my BMW.I ask first and discuss it withthe technician. He can see I know what I am on about and all is good.
It is called establishing a working relationship with a customer. I like it and will go back there and also recommend him to others who may not want to supply their own parts.

fryan1962, Aug 13, 2:25am
yeah I am with mechanic you supply wrong clutch kit he has car stuck on hoist in bits while you fumble around getting another one

curlcrown, Aug 13, 4:39am
That's understandable. He has to gaurntee his work by law. How can he gauretee the quality of the part if he has no idea of the supplyer!

movnon, Aug 13, 5:19am
seems some 'customers ' think the workshops should run on their labour charges!Sorry cocko's it dont work like that.Getting corect parts can be a major headache without knowall 'customers' puttng their oar in.You will only get what you pay for in terms of quality parts & pricing (if you have any doubts ask for thesuppliers part numbers as a backup) & labour.I'm not suggesting the workshops should charge like denackerised crocodiles but reasonable charges & customers that PAY their bills allow them to stay in business & have satisfied clientele.

xs1100, Aug 13, 5:28am
and what happens when theres a choice of 2,who pays for your car being on the hoist and the mechanic whilst you run around and sort it out.the amount of times customers show up with their ownparts and they are wrong and expect the world to stop so they can sort it all out