Car polishers

morrisman1, Sep 2, 4:52am
Ive been looking at getting a vari speed polisher after spending far too much of my physical activity allowance for my life on doing some cutting and polishing on the Primera, its red and starting to dull off a bit.

Was looking at a black and decker, but supercheap didn't have that in stock and neither did anyone else. We sell a makita one at work but its too good (read too expensive) for what I need. Supercheap had a house-brand one but looked like it would fall to bits after 5 mins.

People in the know, what should I be looking for! The B&D Im looking at is the angle grinder type, 1300w I think. Not the other light duty type with only 100w

jmma, Sep 2, 4:56am
I think B&D are exclusive to Mitre10 now.

jason18, Sep 2, 5:08am
They have ones on here for under 100 I think my brother got one. We have done a few paint jobs with it and its pretty old now and still going strong. I have a makita one.Its 6 years old and has had a huge amount of use. About 15 hours a week for 5 years and that still going perfect!

attitudedesignz, Sep 2, 5:21am
Morrisman, just get yourself one of the Rockwell (shop series) ones from super cheap.
I got one when my Rupes died and the cheapy has done well (including THAT chevy truck) and was only $76 on sale.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 2, 6:01am
I have the supercheap one too, have had for a few years now and its perfectly fine. Spend the rest of your money on the farecla quick change double set of cutting/finishing mops and some good farecla compounds. Then you have a system that works as well as most spray shops.

Don't forget to spend some time learning how to use whatever system you end up with (they are not all the same). I prefer farecla of course, they are good too in that they have a series of videos explaining the process.

kazbanz, Sep 2, 6:27am
I have to say I bought one of the supercheap angle grinder type polishers recently and it was utterly gutless--real couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 2, 6:31am
Take it back, sounds like you might have a crook one because mine goes really well (and the farecla system I use is run damp and puts a fair bit of load on it).
Is it the beige colored one like mine! How many watts!

I have to use mine dialed well back to get the appropriate speeds for what I am doing.

morrisman1, Sep 2, 6:38am
I can get the B&D one through work, I might price it up, supercheap were retailing them for $130, and their rockwell one at $70. There might not be much difference in them.

morrisman1, Sep 2, 6:38am
I can get the B&D one through work, I might price it up, supercheap were retailing them for $130, and their rockwell one at $70. There might not be much difference in them.

edit, cant find it on the B&D nz site, so maybe not. Ill check out bosch too. I have a thing against buying the bottom tier products. Id rather buy something I have confidence in.

jason18, Sep 2, 7:47am
Yuck. Bosch is horrible had some bad experiences with Bosch crap

thewomble1, Sep 2, 7:54am
Wanted a B&D battery charger for the drill.SUPERCHEAP now the agents for B&D products.

gammelvind, Sep 2, 8:06am
The Ozito one at Bunnings is good value. Several of my customers (panel and paint shops) use them. They get two to three years of professional use out of them even though they are targeted at the home market.