Primera p10

insan3kiwix_hd, Sep 24, 9:50am
just outta curiosity i was surfing trademe and came across an auction stating the se20de engines in primeras and silvias are pretty much bullet proof!

insan3kiwix_hd, Sep 24, 9:51am
sr20de. my bad

morrisman1, Sep 24, 9:52am
as long as they are serviced properly. They have a habit of blocking the oilers for the cams if servicing is too infrequent. Otherwise they are extremely good and seldom give issues.

easy check is by looking under the oil cap. there should not be significant build up of sludge or oil residue. A good engine will have a tan brown stain on the inside but look very clean. A bad engine may have upper cylinder wear and subsequent noise and if cams are worn then down on power but may otherwise seem fine. The p11 primera engines are a different cylinder head design and are far superior in this respect

skin1235, Sep 24, 10:27am
that habit is not isolated to just the sr20 though
most of the japanese motors will suffer black death - could even say most engines today regardless of origin, tolerances are much smaller, galleys are much smaller, engines run a lot hotter by design ( for economy alone)
all these things mean the oils will degrade quicker, the days of the 52 chevy doing 100,000 miles on 2 oil changes are simply not possible anymore

dan.kev, Sep 26, 11:59am
i have a 1990 p10 primera have owned this car for 12 years the sr20 is bullet proof if looked after i still get comments how well it runs

curlcrown, Sep 27, 6:28am
your bad what!

trdbzr, Sep 27, 6:37am
SR20DE is pretty good and reliable, as long as it has been maintained properly, If it hasn't, then the oil galleries can get sludge build up and that will cause a lot of problems. A common thing people do during rebuilds is to drill the oil galleries to 1mm to fix the issue. Apart from that, Primera's of that age are known to have some rust issues as well. As with any car, go over it with a magnifying glass (not literally).

nzfatie, Sep 28, 9:04am
Yes good engines if they've been serviced regularly. The P11 SR20de motor is better, as they moved the oil filter lower down in the block to reduce engine rattle on start up and it has a better fuel injection system too.

mantagsi, Sep 28, 9:13am
God awful slang indicating an apology for an earlier mistake, I hope it goes out of fashion quickly.

morrisman1, Sep 28, 10:37am
yeap, a better motor but the earlier high ports made more power. Get a sr20ve and have the best of both worlds :)