Can I sell a car without a current warrant?

gardener4, Sep 22, 4:27am
Want to sell my 1994 Corrolla - it's rego till Dec, but warrant expired in August.It needs new tyres and some rust fixed, then good to go and go some more.We bought daughter a newer car, and planned to sell old one as is where is - but just heard can't sell car without warrant.Is that true!

bellky, Sep 22, 4:28am
Can I sell a car without a current warrant!

Yes.

unbeatabull, Sep 22, 4:37am
So long as the buyer knows and agrees with it. IE you don't mislead them into thinking it is currently WOF etc.

If selling on TM, you'd have to tick the excludes on road costs box as well.

a.woodrow, Sep 22, 4:42am
As the other posters have said, you can sell with no wof. If you list on here, make sure that it is clear that it has no wof, you could put up the things it failed on

intrade, Sep 22, 4:42am
cant sell car without warrant only applyes for dealers , you can but make sure you give it in writing to be on the save side and no comebacks

gardener4, Sep 22, 4:43am
phew - thanks everyone!

kazbanz, Sep 22, 4:54am
Sorry dude but wrong.
Have a read of the law. Unless you state clearly its as is where is then a buyer can come back at you if a car has a more than a 28 day old WOF
Have a look at this link
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/choosing/tips.html

therafter1, Sep 22, 5:01am
I think you will find that in a private sale the car does indeed have to have a WOF less than 30 days old and that it no longer only applies to dealers. As stated previously in the thread you can sell it without a WOF or with a WOF more than 30 days old as long as the buyer agrees in writing. So it is nothing to do with being on the 'safe' side as it is now a legal requirement.

therafter1, Sep 22, 5:03am
We was typin' at the same time, but you was faster lol . I'm a one finger tapper !

bellky, Sep 22, 5:04am
Thought as much.

kazbanz, Sep 22, 5:15am
Gardener please do the following. In your advert clearly put . Sold as is where is. With the receipt be thorough in getting the buyers details. Sight their drivers licence and fill the receipt out again being clear that the sale is as is where is.Make sure you have a sighned copyDon't let the car leave your property untill you have confirmation that C of O has been done.
Id suggest using a variation on these words in your advert
PLEASE READ terms of auction before bidding.
#Top bidder at auction close owns the car.
#A bid is an UNCONDITIONAL binding decision to purchase.This means you are 100% certain it is fit for YOUR purposes.All viewing test drives etc need to be before placing a bid.
#Caveat emptor: the car will be sold "as is where is". this means that what you see is what you get! We strongly suggest you view the vehicle before bidding.
#the vehicle is sold STRICTLY according to the auction description.
#Please contact us within 24 hrs and Pay for vehicle in full within 48 hours of auction close.
#BUYER must complete the change of ownership process before vehicle is released.

therafter1, Sep 22, 5:20am
Me finks you do too much thoughting ! . you know what thought thought don't you, and you know that what thought thought is usually 100% wrong . can I suggest that you try a spot of fishing elsewhere or go and do something useful like reading everyone's posts scanning them for the odd expletive, disguised expletives even, and straighten them out like a good little pedant !

merrigj, Sep 22, 5:33am
I wouldn't advise letting people take it for a test drive with no warrant.

gardener4, Sep 22, 6:44am
Thanks again . oh the price of procrastination!

dasfi, Sep 22, 6:47am
what are ya wanting for it

gardener4, Sep 22, 9:59am
here's the listing Listing #: 516384157 - I'll add in the stuff helpfully suggested above.

aredwood, Sep 22, 10:19am
As long as it doesn't get picked up by a parking warden you will be ok. When the police stop someone driving a car with no WOF and/or rego they fine the driver instead of the owner. 1 of my friends found that out the hard way. He borrowed 1 of my cars to drive from the north shore to west Auckland and back. I told him beforehand that the wof and rego were expired on that car, He drove it anyway. Got $800 in fines. I didnt care because they went to him and not me and He knew that the wof and rego were expired.

kazbanz, Sep 22, 11:02pm
Hi Gardener -I just read your advert
If I could offer some advice
First thing I would do is change your location in your profile to christchurch.
You can change it back once the car is sold but that avoids all the "ohh I diddn't know' comments.
Second I'd take some nice pictures of the car then pictures clearly showing the faults.
Third --You say in the advert the rust above the screen is a wof fail and the front tyres are a WOF fail. Unless you have taken the car for a WOF thats not known for certain. -if it has then state clearly--"taken for a wof XX/XX/XX and failed on .If not then I wouldn't say what you don't know.
Id also note the milage the cambelt was replaced at.
Heres the words I'd likely use
Here is a clean and tidy 1994 Toyota corolla.This car was in daily use untill recently.We havepurchased a newer vehicle so its no longer needed.
The car runs really well with no known mechanical issues.
The cambelt was replaced atXXXX km in 2010.
Registered to December Wof expired in August 2012.
-THEN either
The car was taken for a WOF XX/XX/XX.It needs two front tyres and corrossion over the windscreen repaired to pass.
OR
The car hasn't got a current WOF. We thinkl it needs 2 front tyres and corrossion over the windscreen repaired for a wof
Please feel free to view the pictures

pebbles61, Sep 22, 11:09pm

headcat, Sep 22, 11:47pm
You could just get it a warrant and be completely different than the other people selling unregistered, unwarranted junkers here.

curlcrown, Sep 23, 2:16am
Any one, even dealers, can sell a car in any condition as long a the buyer is made aware.

gardener4, Oct 17, 11:40am
Thanks for the great advice - especially kazbanz - made a surprising sale in the end - someone asked us to take it for a warrant to be sure what needed doing - and it passed!So it sold for $1510, to someone we did our best to advise about the looming work needed.

chebry, Oct 17, 8:46pm
Belky is baaack