Shinko Motor Bike Tyres?

dingo011, Sep 13, 2:22am
A mate of mine is considering on having a set of these fitted to his sports tourer, I haven't heard much about them but he reckons they are the number one selling brand in the USA! Supplied by TSS Red Baron here in Wellington. Anyone had any experience with these as will need tyres myself before Xmas.

hi-ling, Sep 13, 2:31am
I've used plenty of them on classic bikes, tourers and cruisers, but have never run them on a sports tourer or sports bike. Ive always found that Michelin Pilot Road 2 to be the best all round tyre, Ive run them on GSXR1000's, Hayabusa's, GSX1400's and Triumph Speed triple's, all bikes that are hungry on rear tyres, and found life and performance second to none. I personally wouldnt run anything else. Their handling is very predictable and mileage is good

dingo011, Sep 13, 3:41am
Thanks hi-ling, could be why they are so popular in the USA with lots of straight roads etc! A bit different to the back roads around Wellington!

kazbanz, Sep 13, 3:43am
My understanding is that shinko bought out Yokohama when Yokohama pulled out of making bike tyres.

dingo011, Sep 13, 3:52am
Hmmm on google it seems that the same plant that makes Shinko also contract manufactures some other well known brands!

tazcsv, Sep 13, 4:13am
I had them on a sport bike (ok it was only a 250) but never had a problem with them, they held on great in the wet and in the turns.

gunhand, Sep 13, 8:30am
I put a Shinko on the rear of my Hayausa. No problem at all and was lasting very well till I traded it on a ZX14. And there wasnt much of a chicken strip on it either LOL. So yes I wouldnt hesitate to use another.

boat3, Sep 13, 8:39am
i have used them,good tyres i think,lots of other good brands too.depends on riding style,and skill level,but for average riding in normal conditions theres nothing wrong with em.

dingo011, Sep 13, 11:38pm
Thanks for the information and passed onto my mate who is going ahead with a set. BUT! they don't make a 160/70 - 17 that I need #$% So thinking of a set of Bridgestone BT-023 for my bike $209 Front and $264 rear ( plus fitting each $30 wheels only / $45 ride in ride out ) Price seem okay!

peril787b1, Sep 14, 10:41am
Price for the Bridgestones looks good, they're a good tyre. What bike is it! 17-160/70 isn't that common.

kaymay88, Sep 14, 11:17am
I had one on the back of my R1, it was cheap, my tyre had a large nail in it so I thought id give it a go.

I ride moderately fast on the road, and the shinko stood up very well to the abuse, provided good feedback and was good wet and dry. I did wear it out in 2500kms though (road only, no track)

the pilot roads are a great tyre, the pilot road 3s are awesome in the wet, a few people do say they get a little squirmy on a hot dry long ride, but only if you are a reasonable quick rider.

gunhand, Sep 14, 11:19am
2500 kms! you need a wheel alignment lol. bet ya wasnt tyres fault.

richynuts, Sep 14, 9:48pm
hey I have a set of near new shinko 120/60/17 and 160/60/17 tyres if your keen, I took them off a yzf 600 thundercat. I will list if you want them