If you sell a car do you need a new warrant?

jane310567, Oct 6, 2:16am
can't remember the rules on this.

intrade, Oct 6, 2:30am
you seem to now unless you state that its sold with none and as is where is no comeback. The car sales guy posted this it applyes now for all people private and dealer he said.

chebry, Oct 6, 2:44am
Its a good thing to get a new warrant to sell a car other than the legalities it improves the saleability

msigg, Oct 6, 2:45am
Thats correct private seller dosn't need new warrant, so long as highlighted /as is in the add.

nzeva, Oct 6, 6:14am
Not good enough to advertise it 'as is where is'.the buyer has to sign the receipt that they've bought it 'as is where is' otherwise the seller is responsible for any repairs required to bring it up to WOF standard.

Dealers are responsible under the Consumer Guarantees Act, so even with a new WOF.if other mechanical problems appear later, they usually have to fix them.which doesn't apply to private sellers.

therafter1, Oct 6, 6:24am

msigg, Oct 6, 6:31am
Well yea I know that, if fact reading what therafter put up you need a signed reciept say that you will only drive it to the garage or place of inspection. So there you go.myself I was bought up in the era of buyer beware, This has stood me well throughout the years, but like most things nowdays most are not responsible/savey/ and like to blame others for their missgivings, and it will get worse I assure you. No responsibility, thats the new world.

otay, Oct 6, 12:57pm
Interesting to read the NZTA page- I always believed any vehicle being sold had to have a WOF less than 28 days old on it. After working in dealership workshops for 11 yrs, and we always put new WOFs on the cars- As far as I can see seems to have always been the rule. Its not about avoiding responsibilty its about selling cars in a safe condition. A WOF is not a condition check-just a safety/compliance check. There is plenty of comeback if the motor blows up through disputes tribunal.

jane310567, Oct 7, 2:19am
ok, I have sold car today but warrant is due next mionth - he is happy to take it with the old warrant - is this legal!

jane310567, Oct 7, 2:21am
its confusing - why does the car have to have a warrant less than a month old - doesn't the new owner just replace the warrant when due!

sparkles_bc, Oct 8, 4:04am
Any vehicle being sold needs a WOF that was issued less than 28 days ago, unless the buyer knows that the WOF was issued prior and also signs an agreement stating he/she knows of this.

chebry, Oct 8, 7:53pm
Nothing confusing about it a new WOFthat is less than 28 days old absolves the selleryoufrom being responsible for WOF repairs next time around. If you can get the buyer to sign a reciept saying he bought it as is where is this will do the same. Good luck with that though.

intrade, Oct 8, 9:09pm
you need to put it in writing car sold without new wof as it was signed by both party. otherwise they can take you to court after and they will be getting the court to rule for them , I know its a dumb rule , another dumb rule is the 6 month wof they should better inform people with them adds that they are responsibile fortherecar and not the wof place .

jane310567, Oct 9, 9:34am
Ok, I got him to sign a form to say the WOF was over 30 days old and he buys "as is" - he was happy with that. I was fine with getting a new warrant but he was happy.

jason18, Oct 9, 10:23pm
^ Good work! Now don't do what I did and lose the piece of paper he signed hahah.