Buying a car - having it put in both your names?

customise84, Oct 3, 5:21am
We have just bought a car from a dealer, and the dealer today said that the change of ownership could only be in one persons name. My husband and I have everything joint, and I know you used to be able to have it in joint names, my parents cars have always been jointly owned. I just went to ring nzta but they are closed until the morning, and I thought someone on here may have recently encountered this, or had bought a car and put it in joint names

m16d, Oct 3, 5:26am
Leave it in the old mans name and he'll get all the speed camera and parking tickets.

customise84, Oct 3, 5:29am
now theres a thought!

mm12345, Oct 3, 5:30am
We have 3 cars, I just put the cars rego in my name.It doesn't matter, as the registration papers are not a certificate of title / proof of ownership.
If my wife wants them in her name, I don't care, so long as she arranges WOF, registration, maintenance, payment of occasional speed camera tickets etc.
If it's a big hassle, register a company with both you and your wife as directors, and register the car under the company name.

smac, Oct 3, 5:32am
Joint owner was scrapped a while back. It never had any legal standing anyway. Only one person can be held accountable for fines or fees.

yogibearz, Oct 3, 5:34am
Yes. it can only have one name.Do you have a dog !

customise84, Oct 3, 5:35am
*ahem* I am the wife as I said above lol.

But nah not a big hassle. I just wondered tis all

gedo1, Oct 3, 5:49am
.can't use a dog for that as it has to be a "real person".

mm12345, Oct 3, 5:50am
Are you capable of arranging WOF, registration, maintenance, payment of occasional speed camera tickets etc. !

If so, I want to talk to your husband for advice on joint household automotive management issues.These should be included in pre-nupt contracts, but at the time we tied the knot, we didn't own a car.

customise84, Oct 3, 6:22am
Absolutely. It's me that always does the licensing, WOFs etc. And it may come as a shock, but I can actually pour petrol too. lol

gammelvind, Oct 3, 6:27am
Found that it can't be done anymore a few years ago. Has to be in one name now.

cowlover, Oct 3, 8:05am
I saw that the rules changed a while back but how do LTNZ cope with business vehicles owned by trusts, partnerships etc.There must still be a way to do it - perhaps need a Customer number issued but I think that's only for companies.

carstauranga001, Oct 3, 8:16am
True, only onename on Certificate Of Registration. (Commonly and incorrectly called ownership papers) I recomend people put both names on (and sign) the Vehicle Offer And Sale Agreement (VOSA). I havn't had a professional legal opinion but would sugest the VOSA is the legal document proving who purchased the car and would stand up in court if required.

96jeep4life, Oct 3, 9:31am
The laws around motor vehicle registrations were overhauled a few years back apparantly, we learned that when we were in the same situation, what im puzzled by however is you can be the 'registered' owner of a car which means your not the 'legal' owner and in charge of fines and registrations, but is there still a proof of ownership form!

mortluby, Oct 3, 11:10am
Guy at work has his truck registered in his 4yo daughters name.

smac, Oct 3, 7:10pm
It's never been proof of legal ownership, it's always been registered ownership. All that means is the person/entity that is liable for the fess and fines.

Lebal ownership of a car is proved the same way you prove who who owns a TV, a toaster or a tennis ball: receipt or sale contract.

smac, Oct 3, 7:11pm
If he has he's committed fraud. Nice parenting.

carstauranga001, Oct 4, 1:42am
He's spinning you a line. That's not possable with the type of ID required to change the ownership.

cowlover, Oct 4, 7:54am
Are you sure.I've seen cases where t chang has been recorded but noted that evidence required.Apart from that is there any actual law that prevents a 4 year old owning a car!

smac, Oct 4, 8:16am