Car vibrating when accelerating

philltauranga, Sep 29, 9:09pm
Missus car, 97 Toyota celica, auto, front wheel drive, non turbo.
I think its the front inner cv on the drive shaft.
After about 1 hr of driving the car starts to vibrate over 60,70kmh when accelerating, as soon as you back off the gas, it stops, slip it into neutral and keep the revs on, it stops, coast along without accelerating, no vibe, hit the gas and its back.
Seems strange it only starts after 1 hr of driving, when driving the first hour if on hot mix you can hear a wallowing type sound but no obvious vibrating until after 1 hr.
Have checked the obvious. wheel nuts, tire/rim ballance weights, wheel bearings, no obvious play in cv/drive shaft.
What elce could it be! any other ideas!

intrade, Sep 29, 9:11pm
check the automatic trans fluid soonest must be full when engine on mesured and nice red-wine colour to rool a problem with the inners of the trans out.

the-lada-dude, Sep 30, 4:57am
yeah your right i recon. had the same on a toyo v6. drove me nuts trying to source the cause.good while cold but once warm slowly got worse. figured out the grease held it pretty central till it warmed up

petermcg, Oct 1, 5:11am
Take out the big block 454 and try it.

beast9, Oct 1, 5:28am
if it has high ks it could be the torque converter had the same problem in a toyota avalon v6 this week

bentleyboy, Oct 1, 5:57am
Just to go back to something you brought up in your original message, it doesn't sound like CV joints but if you'd like to check these, put your steering on full lock and move forward a couple of metres. Then select reverse and go back then do the same on the other full lock. A clicking noise indicates worn CVs.
Just on the off-chance that it isn't obvious, don't come crying to me if you are involved in an accident while doing this somewhere dumb, like on the public street or in a busy car park.
Cheers, . and good luck

philltauranga, Oct 1, 6:31am
Haha cheers. Im not that dumb . I would only test it on the motorway at 530pm.
Searously tho- Im thinking the inner slip joint in the cv/drive shaft at the gearbox end because there is no clicking when turning, which would be the outter cv universal at the hub end.
Interesting to read about the torque converter comment in the other post, I was wondering if they could get out of ballance, I dont know much ( or want to) about auto boxes.
Peter I had to take out the 454 last year as there was to much torque steer through the front wheel drive. hehe

ross117, Oct 1, 6:36am
Torque converter