Recommend me a car please

Page 2 / 3
edangus, Sep 29, 5:57am
KE20s and 30s are cool. They went to the pack style wise after that

thejazzpianoma, Sep 29, 6:01am
No, that's the sort of nonsense wives tale you want to use to your advantage. I have had literally dozens of Fiats and they have been exceptionally reliable.

Reliability is more about getting a good example and maintaining it properly than the badge on the front, but dealers and others will try and pretend that is not the case.

The Stilo is slightly less robust than the likes of the Punto but given you can buy a late one for about 5K (or less) and many are very well looked after they are still good overall.

If you have problems with a Fiat its usually something niggly and not catastrophic or likely to leave you stranded.They are all galvanised too so no rust issues ever.

Fiat parts are easily available and very well priced, service intervals are long. VW parts are cheap and easy to get too. Having owned many brands I still favor the VW Golf and Fiats in this price range.

A manual Honda accord should be pretty good on gas. The Fiats are about as economical as you will find.

69steel, Sep 29, 6:04am
I like that mazda sp20. Seems a good price and serviced.

intrade, Sep 29, 6:05am
fiat are a car with cheapest parts, for example a wido winder manual for my tipo cost me 56$ original factory fiat parts, as where for a toyota electric windo winder is 600$ ex japan and 250$ for secoundhand. Like i posted you want as little electric electronic as possibile

thejazzpianoma, Sep 29, 6:06am
That's not too bad, km's are fair and its NZ new. I would suggest you service the transmission immediately so as to have the best chance at a good run with it.

intrade, Sep 29, 6:07am
no parts for mazda cheap they are ultra expensive . and for the likes of 323 and capellasyou wont even be able to get anything from japan. naigbourhas 10 wracks of capellas 1990s + and could not even get a new thermostat for his. like with anything do your research .

edangus, Sep 29, 6:08am
Yep, just turned 10. really low kms, NZ New. Looks very tidy. Reliable, Economical, Not too bad on the eye, easy to park, Cheap to maintain.

They are cool too, and have get up and go when needed.

69steel, Sep 29, 6:08am
so what would you guys buy personally!

kazbanz, Sep 29, 6:08am
Angela-8-10k buys you a huge range of cars suitable for your needs.
Basicly you are asking for a "home appliance" type car.
Something that with regular oil/filter changes with regular but less often servicing will do 100000km.
The fuel economy thing does tend to vary depending on the sort of driving you are doing.Round town a 1300/1500cc would be great but for mostly motorway runs a 1800 would be worth concidering.
Without even thinking too much -In your price range
Low KM Nissan silphy/pulsar 1800
Toyota corolla sedan (1300/1500cc VVTi engine
Toyota Platz/toyota Raum
Mazda Demio 2002-2006
Toyota corolla spacio 2001-2003 model (chain drive)
Nissan Sunny sedan
All reliable. all cheap to maintain all economical

edangus, Sep 29, 6:08am
Rubbish

intrade, Sep 29, 6:10am
i seen his wrackssome are the same years and the thermostat would not even change over from one to another . i advise to stay clear from any older mazda product plus he changed the automatic transmission 4 times . one after the other crapped out .

intrade, Sep 29, 6:13am
i also changed brake pads on a 2001 capella from a client the pads did not fit and i took the ones in to get correct ones. on the packet it did say subaru legacy . mazda seem to mix and match what ever components to there vehicles huge nightmare they are for parts.

stevo2, Sep 29, 6:13am
+1. Good car at good price
Also look for Corolla, Caldina, Wingroad (Non CVT) Sunny, Sulphy Pulsar

edangus, Sep 29, 6:14am
5 door hatch. (3 door with kids is a pain) Not too flashy. 1800cc up.

Euro or Jap, but the 5 door hatch thing limits the choices.

69steel, Sep 29, 6:16am
thanks guys for your help!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 29, 6:17am
I bought the 2007 Fiat Grande Punto for $7500 for a similar purpose. Super low maintenance, unbelievable economy, well featured, fundamentally reliable.

Not hard to see the value there.

69steel, Sep 29, 6:19am
what about a honda fit/jazz!

edangus, Sep 29, 6:22am
Like Honda Fit/Jazz, but have mixed feelings on the Auto Boxes.

intrade, Sep 29, 6:24am
fiat are one of the cheapest for parts, for example my tipo window winder manual type, factory new fiat-italiacost 57$ no other car will have as low cost parts as fiat, that is what is the good points on fiats.

69steel, Sep 29, 6:24am
are demios, nissan silphys and corolla type engines cheap to fix!

pebbles61, Sep 29, 6:24am
Austin 1800

trdbzr, Sep 29, 6:27am
It depends on what breaks. Get these guys to check on a car you are really keen to buy, they are good at what they do, don't take it down to AA or VTNZ

www.carinspections.co.nz

msigg, Sep 29, 6:43am
corolla engines do not need to be fixed. If older one just make sure cam belt is done, and for all cars make sure the corrosion inhibitor has been replaced/ or replace it when you buy. Most engine failures are because of electrolysis, or overheating. The expensive things to fix is anything electronic, so as intrade suggests dont by too many frills, they inherently pack up.

69steel, Sep 29, 8:05am
any more suggestions

kazbanz, Sep 29, 9:11am
NO-not in auto anyways. --manual is a heap of fun--auto not so good